• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

ughhh my cam phasers are going out....again....

What to do with ye old red beast...

• Sell/Trade it

Votes: 9 64.3%
  • Fix it myself using some of my tax return moola

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Dealer Fix it with alot bigger chunk of my tax return moola

Votes: 2 14.3%

• Total voters
I know this goes against everything you've ever been taught about working on cars, but...... Soak them with penetrating oil. Then..... Use a small impact driver. I used a 3/8 pneumatic. Got all 8 out of an 04 with 75000 miles. The last on the pax side was stubborn but came out in one piece. Don't forget to get the motor slightly warm too.

a impact driver on the 2 piece plugs? man, that sounds iffy lol. but x2 on the penetrating oil, cant use enough of that stuff on those 2 piece plugs.

im headed down there tomm to talk to his boss and see whats up. doing a oil change in the morning with a bottle of lucas and hoping that quiets down the tick some so his boss doesnt freak about it haha. and im gonna drop by the bank 1st and see if i can get a loan for 3grand. i think showing them that im getting that back on my tax return and it will be paid back in a matter of weeks should help lol. im not very hopeful about that lol, but hey it never hurts to ask!!

update.....im gonna head over to my parents tomm (where all the tools are at lol, no garage in my apt) and disconnect my VCT solenoids and see if that stops, or quiets down the ticking. if it does, im gonna go ahead and spend the money to get 2 new ones (100 bucks a pop, and have to find them in stock somewhere lol). luckily mine are super easy to switch, the 07s and up you have to remove the valve cover, on my 05 its just a seal to remove and a torx nut holding it in thank god!

i can disconnect the passenger side one, but the drivers side is directly underneath the power steering reservoir and i cant reach it with my fat fingers lol. hence the need for some tools to remove it from the mount and move it out the way so i can do that.

i went to see my brother and test drove that 2010 camry, actually not as bad as i thought. plenty of room for me surprisingly enough lol. but both my brother and his boss are going on vacation all next week so i wont be able to do anything till they get back.

thinking about listing it on a few sales sites for about 8 grand and see if i get any bites. my only concern is my title is still the one the bank sends after you pay off a loan, that shows the lien has been satisfied. can i transfer it to someone with that title? or do i need to go to the DMV to update the title to sell to a individual? my brothers boss told me the title i have is no problem for them at the dealer though.

a impact driver on the 2 piece plugs? man, that sounds iffy lol. but x2 on the penetrating oil, cant use enough of that stuff on those 2 piece plugs.

im headed down there tomm to talk to his boss and see whats up. doing a oil change in the morning with a bottle of lucas and hoping that quiets down the tick some so his boss doesnt freak about it haha. and im gonna drop by the bank 1st and see if i can get a loan for 3grand. i think showing them that im getting that back on my tax return and it will be paid back in a matter of weeks should help lol. im not very hopeful about that lol, but hey it never hurts to ask!!

Just un bolt the coils. Drive it like you stole it and get it really hot. put on gloves and don't let it cool down and hit them with a 3/8 impact WAO works every time. The guys at my old shop would let it sit over night use a ratchet and break 6 of 8. They were good at getting the broken ones out. I on the other hand have only used the tool once and it was on a truck that got towed in.

Just un bolt the coils. Drive it like you stole it and get it really hot. put on gloves and don't let it cool down and hit them with a 3/8 impact WAO works every time. The guys at my old shop would let it sit over night use a ratchet and break 6 of 8. They were good at getting the broken ones out. I on the other hand have only used the tool once and it was on a truck that got towed in.

damn, nice.

update.....im gonna head over to my parents tomm (where all the tools are at lol, no garage in my apt) and disconnect my VCT solenoids and see if that stops, or quiets down the ticking. if it does, im gonna go ahead and spend the money to get 2 new ones (100 bucks a pop, and have to find them in stock somewhere lol). luckily mine are super easy to switch, the 07s and up you have to remove the valve cover, on my 05 its just a seal to remove and a torx nut holding it in thank god!

i can disconnect the passenger side one, but the drivers side is directly underneath the power steering reservoir and i cant reach it with my fat fingers lol. hence the need for some tools to remove it from the mount and move it out the way so i can do that.

i went to see my brother and test drove that 2010 camry, actually not as bad as i thought. plenty of room for me surprisingly enough lol. but both my brother and his boss are going on vacation all next week so i wont be able to do anything till they get back.

thinking about listing it on a few sales sites for about 8 grand and see if i get any bites. my only concern is my title is still the one the bank sends after you pay off a loan, that shows the lien has been satisfied. can i transfer it to someone with that title? or do i need to go to the DMV to update the title to sell to a individual? my brothers boss told me the title i have is no problem for them at the dealer though.

We sold my moms car like that and it was fine. As long as it's signed it doesn't matter.

anyone that knows the title knows what im talking about lol. the dreaded ford 5.4l 3v cam phaser issue.....i had mine replaced by the dealer when i bought it (08 or 09) at just under 70k. now im just over 180 and its started ticking (louder, previous was just the standard injector tick they all have) and tonight when i came through my apt gates is did it.....the dreaded "diesel" shake that is the #1 symptom of the bad phasers. it only did it for a few seconds, then went back to normal.....but i know it still needs replacing.

debating on different options, any input would be great! anyone that has experience in tackling a phaser change on this motor would be awesome. (btw, its a fully loaded 2005 F150 FX4 Supercrew.)

get it fixed at my dealer (i know a guy, so probably around 1500, need to call and check)

fix it myself. around 8-900 using for parts and buying the special wedge to keep the timing correct on the motor (must have tool). from researching online i could do this myself no problem. just really time consuming and would need at least a years supply of beer for the day or 2 it would take lol! i would only really run into trouble doing it if i manage to screw up and i screw up the timing process though.

sell/trade it for probably a considerable loss. around 8-9 grand from looking at nada and kbb. if the cam phasers were fixed, its easily a 12k asking price truck. would easily take a good, solid running honda or something alike with a gun or 5 to make up differences if i decided on selling/trading it.

and i made a poll because i could lol.

it has pretty darn new BFG all Terrains on it now also a 2.5inch level, Saleen grill and tow mirrors.

have you tried the ford racing phasers and or the comp cams last longer set and forget

just had to vent this out somewhere before i try to go to bed. early/long day tomm for me. i should be back responding tomm night to anyone that decides to want to post here lol. and oh damn.....my supporter status ran out...need to fix that when i get home tomm also lol.

We sold my moms car like that and it was fine. As long as it's signed it doesn't matter.

sweet.

im really hoping its the vct solenoids, as much as ive been looking at stuff online ive never seen anyone say they have had cam phasers go bad twice.

im pretty set on getting rid of it either way though. i really dont have a need for the truck anymore. all i need is a trailer hitch (for a trailer/hitch mounted cargo carrier for hunting/camping) and a roof rack (kayak) for a car and im good lol. and with 30+ mpg, i can afford to make trips/vacations a ton easier on my wallet lol.

Don't want to be a debbie downer but i tried the vct solenoid trick also and cold not tell the slightest difference except my pockets were a touch lighter.

Don't want to be a debbie downer but i tried the vct solenoid trick also and cold not tell the slightest difference except my pockets were a touch lighter.

ya, i have the normal injector tick that all the 5.4 3v motors do lol. just it got a louder tick the past few weeks before it started doing this nonsense. mainly when the motor is warmed up good. thats why im hoping (praying) its the solenoids. the cam phasers it would do it 100% of the time (according to the internet, lol i know)

if disconnecting the VCTs helps the ticking, im going to replace them. as well as do a oil change with a quart of Lucas added in. dont want old oil messing with the new solenoids lol. need to do a oil change anyway.

Back
Top Bottom