• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

ughhh my cam phasers are going out....again....

What to do with ye old red beast...

• Sell/Trade it

Votes: 9 64.3%
  • Fix it myself using some of my tax return moola

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Dealer Fix it with alot bigger chunk of my tax return moola

Votes: 2 14.3%

• Total voters
Probably coulda saved you a lot of headache before you bought a Ford but you probably wouldn't have listened. (the old man didn't :) ) I got my hard learned Ford lessons in the early 90s. I'm still sore from it and now (2 lemons back to back) wont touch their products with a 10' pole.
My employer runs a fleet of Ford pickups and it just reinforces what I already know about em. As a matter of fact my assigned F250 super duty is down again right now due to the check engine light and bad misfiring (77K), and the loaner 250 super duty they have me driving (82k) sputters and then backfires a couple of times if you have to get on it and you can hear the trans pump make a chirp/squeal during shifts under acceleration, so I dont. I hope I get mine back before the loaner dies too and can go at least another 15k before mine is right back in the shop again. No way I'd run a Ford much less a fleet of Fords even with bid assist.

Yotas are a little more $ up front but have made a believer out of me that their reputation is well deserved and you save money and aggravation in the long run and they hold their value. Currently own an 02 that I bought new and nothin but consumables has been replaced. You know, tires, brakes, batteries, wipers,filters, fluids, and 1 major service just cause it was time (timing belt, water pump, drive belt, wires plugs, etc.) Actually with the mileage that's on it those items are consumables too.
Good luck and whatever you decide, I'm sure your bro will steer you right, I hope it's many trouble free miles.

The new tundra is hands down the best pickup on the market

My company issued '12 tundra 5.7 has almost double the HP of my personal 04 expy 5.4
Yet gets 4 mpg more

im a ford mechanic and have been for over 15years, the problem with cam phasers on 5.4L 3v motors is oil. they get noisy after prolonged low oil pressure,now pressure im talking about is only about 10psi. but with the tolerances in these motors that's a lot. the fix that we have seen
that takes care of this issue is factory oil filters, not after market. I have plenty on f-150's with over 200k that still have original phasers.
and they have had motorcraft oil filters on them from the first oil change, and serviced every 5k. so my professional opinion is go back with what it had from the factory.

im a ford mechanic and have been for over 15years, the problem with cam phasers on 5.4L 3v motors is oil. they get noisy after prolonged low oil pressure,now pressure im talking about is only about 10psi. but with the tolerances in these motors that's a lot. the fix that we have seen
that takes care of this issue is factory oil filters, not after market. I have plenty on f-150's with over 200k that still have original phasers.
and they have had motorcraft oil filters on them from the first oil change, and serviced every 5k. so my professional opinion is go back with what it had from the factory.

all ive ever used was motorcraft filters/oil in it since i got it. semi-synthetic motorcraft as of last year. im doing a oil change this friday and substituting one of the quarts of oil for a quart of Lucas. hopefully that quiets it down a bit when i bring it to my brother at world Toyota that afternoon lol.

***NEW DEAL*** what i was offered after my brother talked to his boss and he set this up. said it was approved by the GM of the dealership also.

the offer went to this: 6 grand for my truck, and i pay 3 grand (my tax return) for a 2010 Camry. thats final out the door pricing on it. in order to hold the car for me till i get my tax return (i hear turbotax is faster than normal this year, only a few weeks), they are willing to do some paperwork saying what they will pay for my truck, and what im paying, then i cut them a check for 3 grand (but they hold it, not deposit it then). when my tax return hits i call and tell them to deposit the check then i come complete paperwork and drop off my truck and drive away in the Camry.

6 grand for my truck and i avoid the hassle of trying to sell it myself.....seems worth it considering the current condition of the truck. trade in is 5-7g KBB and 8-9 private in the lowest condition KBB has.

They don't make fords like they used to. I just got a 2007 and wish I had never bought it. I went into debt to buy a newer truck with half the miles of my paid off Toyota and so far I'm down $1800 on a rebuilt tranny. Plus the plugs need changed now, and I find out they are two piece and break a lot when you take them out.

Anybody got that broke spark plug extraction tool I can borrow?

the isle tool works pretty good. but if you are patient and use a ton of the break free spray on the plugs first and let them sit for a good while they usually wont break off. if you do have a break, spray more break free in the hole and let it sit for awhile again, then try the isle tool and do it slowly....very very slowly lol.

Back
Top Bottom