• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

ughhh my cam phasers are going out....again....

What to do with ye old red beast...

• Sell/Trade it

Votes: 9 64.3%
  • Fix it myself using some of my tax return moola

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Dealer Fix it with alot bigger chunk of my tax return moola

Votes: 2 14.3%

• Total voters

militaryrednek

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
75   0
Reaction score
anyone that knows the title knows what im talking about lol. the dreaded ford 5.4l 3v cam phaser issue.....i had mine replaced by the dealer when i bought it (08 or 09) at just under 70k. now im just over 180 and its started ticking (louder, previous was just the standard injector tick they all have) and tonight when i came through my apt gates is did it.....the dreaded "diesel" shake that is the #1 symptom of the bad phasers. it only did it for a few seconds, then went back to normal.....but i know it still needs replacing.

debating on different options, any input would be great! anyone that has experience in tackling a phaser change on this motor would be awesome. (btw, its a fully loaded 2005 F150 FX4 Supercrew.)

get it fixed at my dealer (i know a guy, so probably around 1500, need to call and check)

fix it myself. around 8-900 using for parts and buying the special wedge to keep the timing correct on the motor (must have tool). from researching online i could do this myself no problem. just really time consuming and would need at least a years supply of beer for the day or 2 it would take lol! i would only really run into trouble doing it if i manage to screw up and i screw up the timing process though.

sell/trade it for probably a considerable loss. around 8-9 grand from looking at nada and kbb. if the cam phasers were fixed, its easily a 12k asking price truck. would easily take a good, solid running honda or something alike with a gun or 5 to make up differences if i decided on selling/trading it.

and i made a poll because i could lol.

it has pretty darn new BFG all Terrains on it now also a 2.5inch level, Saleen grill and tow mirrors.

just had to vent this out somewhere before i try to go to bed. early/long day tomm for me. i should be back responding tomm night to anyone that decides to want to post here lol. and oh damn.....my supporter status ran out...need to fix that when i get home tomm also lol.

well my brother, who is now the used car trade in manager (i believe thats his title lol) at world toyota, told me he could get me 10 grand to trade it in to them............waiting for him to go to work tomm with my Vin and confirm it with his boss he can do that much and looking like im gonna end up in a yota car lol. hes gonna find out tomm if they will do a straight trade on a few camrys they have in stock that are priced right at 10 grand or a bit under (if they will, im probably headed there after work tomm lol). i cant believe im saying this...but i might be a car driver soon lol.

it died on me backing up into my parking spot when i got home today.....its why im more in a hurry to get rid of it now instead of fixing it and spending money i dont have on it.

Mine have been ticking since 65k miles and i am now at 140k and still ticking. It's a tough call. I couldn't even sell my truck for 11k with 100k miles on it once people heard the tick. If i try to sell it i am looking at 6-7k to get out from under it and there's nothing out there that 6-7 would even make a dent in the payment. Plus if you sell a used truck and buy a used truck there's no telling what you might get. At least i know how to fix this ones problems, it's all i've done for the last 5 years.

They don't make fords like they used to. I just got a 2007 and wish I had never bought it. I went into debt to buy a newer truck with half the miles of my paid off Toyota and so far I'm down $1800 on a rebuilt tranny. Plus the plugs need changed now, and I find out they are two piece and break a lot when you take them out.

Anybody got that broke spark plug extraction tool I can borrow?

I've had to replace my plugs so many times in this truck that the last two times i just did it in my driveway. A few months ago i did 8 COP's and 8 plugs in an hour and a half in my driveway. I totaled a bike, had another bike stolen, and a third bike i blew up the motor and this stupid thing just won't go away.

I am saying this just because I have driven quite a few F150's.

They are one of the most difficult and uncomfortable trucks ever. The dash layout blows, made of nearly all plastic. Steering is typically heavy, brakes feel like garbage and the looks are the most boring asthetics of any truck on the market.

My favorite used full sized trucks are:

Tundra/Sierra/Silverado (only put it below a Sierra due to the front ends)

My old Tundra was an absolutely wonderful truck. No issues. My Sierra has been wonderful, only recently had to do a water pump (@150k).

My dad has blown the motor in a straight 6 F-150 he had, a guy at work has a 5.4 F-150 with 180k and blown head gaskets, old old friend had another 5.4 with the same ignition issues, etc...

Govt bailout or not, F-150's are one of my least favorite trucks.

My vote, dump it...

Back
Top Bottom