• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Tradable Items That Increase in Value in SHTF/TEOTWAWKI Events or Hold Value Today

All great suggestions folks.

Remember - the name of the game is to identify items that will retain their value today (i.e., can be sold readily for cash) as well as considered valuable in a major SHTF event. While I love TP and twinkies just like the rest of you, I might have a hard time moving 'em if I wanted to sell a few cases tomorrow: "Hey, want to buy my TP?" would probably get me funny looks in the classifieds. Makes us all think a little harder about how we prep for any event if we're on a budget.

Here's a question - would you stock a few inexpensive but reliable used guns - like a Ruger P series 9mm or a few Ruger 10/22s? Don't these tend to bottom out on price? Or would you stay away from firearms, and if so, for what reason?

More ideas:
High quality, high demand knives - buy used and hold
Optics -binoculars, minoculars
Like new surplus clothing - gotta love those BDUs for $16
High quality boots that won't fall apart
Good watch with extra batteries
Reading and used prescription glasses - store them in an ammo can
Common gun parts - like AR-15 repair all kits
Small specialty livestock - meat rabbits, etc. - worth the time and effort?

I really like the seeds idea.

I would probably stay away from firearms as a barter/currency item.......don't want the individual or group that I could be bartering with to use these things against me or my family members. Also any trading would take place away from my BOL.

Rabbits tend to be relatively low in fat......but could be worth the time and effort if you have the time to devote to raising rabbits. Goats are another livestock option (milk and meat).

Last edited:
Water
food
medicine
gas (or other burnable resource)
guns and ammo (though I wouldn't trade mine in a shtf scenario)
woman (hey probably gonna be some lonely guys out there)
supplies (water filter, stove, camping equipment, axe, knife... you get the picture)

depending on the market or lack there of, gold and silver might be usable, it might not. depends how bad it is.

I think the seeds would be very valuable. As long as you or someone you are trading to could take the time to grow it. You would have to have a decently fortified BOL to grow a good crop.

All great suggestions folks.
Remember - the name of the game is to identify items that will retain their value today (i.e., can be sold readily for cash) as well as considered valuable in a major SHTF event.

woman (hey probably gonna be some lonely guys out there)

I would love to learn how to buy women now that will increase or remain stable in value if I decide to hold over time, or can be readily sold for cash. How do you store them for the long term without spoilage?

Back
Top Bottom