• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Things I don't understand -- "Round count"

gh1950

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
105   0
Reaction score
Why is the first question asked when a gun is put up for sale is "what's the round count?"

What difference does it make? I mean, do guns have a shelf life? I know that they have a service life that's in the 10's of thousands of rounds.

If you can't judge the wear on a gun, should you really be buying one?

Does anyone really make a decision to buy a gun based in "round count" and if you do what's the threshold?

Finally, who knows who is telling the truth? I've got a revolver that's had thousands of round shot through it, but if you're interested in buying it, the count rounds off to less than 100.

My favorite is "I'm the second owner (that I know of) and the previous owner told me it was unfired." Really?

In my opinion, from work experience, round count does not really mean anything if you take good care of your firearm, keep it clean, do your maintenance when needed. We have a couple of Glocks at our Zonolite location that are now at several hundred thousand rounds through them and they still perform every day. We keep them cleaned, replace a recoil spring, firing pin or firing pin spring here or there, and they just keep on performing. I never ask round count when I am negotiating a deal. To me it's not relevant. But, that is just me.....to some other people, it could be a deal breaker!!

The mileage on a car bothers me less than how it was driven and maintained, the brand and model. I am sure they exist but I have never seen a firearm that was shot to the point of uselessness. Most suffer from manufacturing defects, cleaning abuse, poor storage habits, use of unsuitable ammo, careless handling. If a firearm is in good shape cosmetically and functionally I don't care if it is used, as that is what I am going to do with it anyway.

image.jpg

Parts is parts. You can't argue with physics. Well, it is the ODT so of course you can.

Back
Top Bottom