• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

“I will take it” traders with good feedback then back out

I've done a lot of meet ups and never been burned but rely on looking into folks and feedback means something to me. You rocking 8-4, I'm not talking to you. And he claimed he'd take it. I informed he wouldn't be.

The ODT rules seem to ignore the reality that when a buyer says "I'll take it!" the seller feels obligated to mark the item sold pending meeting and then work to schedule a physical transfer of the item and receive payment over the next couple days. This is the downside of people not following through on their end of the deal to purchase what they said they would purchase. Other potential buyers skip over this product and turn their attention elsewhere , thinking the deal is as good as done.

I guess if ODT won't let U give a negative to somebody who ghosts you or backs out for no good reason,

THE ONLY WAY TO FULLY PROTECT YOURSELF is to never hold anything, never consider it SPM. Everything is either still for sale or it has been, past tense, sold. First person to show up with money at the seller's location wins the race.

( But that's not how I operate, nor do I want to see people encouraged to operate that way by the way the feedback rules are set up.)
ODT rules have said since day one “I’ll take it means nothing”

You must still negotiate and or come to an agreement.

But under your point of view I should be able to say I’ll take your 22 but you have to come to me and give me a substantial discount. Because I said I’ll take it. Right?

I ain’t got much, but I got my word and and that’s my bond. My father told me when I was about 14 or so son a man is no better than his word!
My word is my bond, but just because someone says they will take it, doesn’t mean they can stop all negotiations between me and anyone else.
That is insane.

About a month ago, I told a guy I would take an item he was selling; at his asking price. We hammered out details in PM's: date, time, location, price. We agreed to meet halfway which was almost an hour from my house. After I'd been on the road for 30 minutes, he PM'd and started with, "My man, I'm so sorry". Then went on to say a friend of his wanted the item. He said friends and family came first, so he couldn't sell it to me.

The item was kind of hard to find and a decent price. I told him that ODT members didn't do that to each other, especially people who'd been around a while. I said I was enroute to the meet as agreed. If he didn't show, that was on him. I took pictures of the meet location from my truck with my truck's GPS indicating the time and location in the pictures. I even gave him 30 minutes past our meet time. Did I neg him, absolutely.

I've listed things for sale and had people negotiate a lower price with me. Then before the meet, someone else offers me what I was asking. I still sell to the first guy at the lower price. I won't go back on my word.

I had to before because a major event that involved a ton of money I couldn't for see. Never for just no reason at all. I make it a habit to abide by my word but sometimes life gets in the way. Sometimes things just don't work out like you want them to. I don't think it's any reason to get all bent out of shape. However, if you drive there and all that jaz and they back out then I can see the frustration. I just don't get mad for any reason anymore.

Back
Top Bottom