• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Talk to me about FISHING ROD/REELs

Depending on the type of fish and type of bait I like a good 6'6" medium heavy for 99% of my fishing. The last rod I bought was a Bass Pro Shop Tourney Special and it has done great. You may want to pack up for a little road trip and go to Macon. It is the BPS clearance center and refurbished center. You can find deals there that won't be in Gwinnett.

Depending on the type of fish and type of bait I like a good 6'6" medium heavy for 99% of my fishing.

I have FOUR Penn setups that are medium heavy and 6.6" or 7' -- but used them for salt water and if I target the lovely carp in lanier. Running braided line. I believe they are far too heavy for the bass I catch at Lanier. ;)

I have FOUR Penn setups that are medium heavy and 6.6" or 7' -- but used them for salt water and if I target the lovely carp in lanier. Running braided line. I believe they are far too heavy for the bass I catch at Lanier. ;)

I’ve never enjoyed throwing a buzz bait, Colorado spinner bait or large crank bait with a medium action rod. There’s so much rod flex with just the bait I’ve never felt like there’s enough flex left to set the hook. If I want to feel the action of a trick worm or a countdown rapala or something sure why not but even something like a heavy lead jig I just don’t care for light tackle.

I’ve never enjoyed throwing a buzz bait, Colorado spinner bait or large crank bait with a medium action rod. There’s so much rod flex with just the bait I’ve never felt like there’s enough flex left to set the hook. If I want to feel the action of a trick worm or a countdown rapala or something sure why not but even something like a heavy lead jig I just don’t care for light tackle.

Valid.
I occasionally fish the hooch on my smaller 14 foot aluminum boat. Typical weights of those fish can be under 1 lb, so heavier gear is a no no. :)
But I can see your point with the rod flex. No way I would use light tackle for a nice bass or monster carp at lanier. :)

Don’t know if it’s been mentioned but when looking into a spinning reels check for number of ball bearings in it. The better reels will have more bearings and does make a difference.

Don’t know if it’s been mentioned but when looking into a spinning reels check for number of ball bearings in it. The better reels will have more bearings and does make a difference.

To a certain extent you are correct.

If you are old enough, you will remember the transistor race when transistor radio came out. For the millennial a transistor radio was a primitive form of a Walkman that you operated by rubbing two 9 volt batteries together.

Companies would advertise 21 transistor radios, but most of them were soldered to the circuit board with no connections to any thing.

Same with BB in spinning reels, 5-7 is all you need, and more than that they are jacking the price. Pay more attention to the materials, things like front or rear drag.

The Ugly Stik combos they sell at Academy are decent for freshwater. The rods are good and the reels are nice and smooth. They don't last at all in saltwater but should do you right using it in only freshwater.

Back
Top Bottom