• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Talk to me about FISHING ROD/REELs

95gAtl

Default rank <3000 posts
ODT Junkie!
115   0
Reaction score
SERIOUS TOPIC MY FRIENDS, PLEASE POST BS AND NON PRODUCTIVE COMMENTS ELSEWHERE.
:)

I think I have my basic saltwater gear covered for now. So let's talk freshwater for the lake.

Sick of the walmart specials for $15-25 bucks (Yeah I know, I know) that don't last or the drag breaks and isn't adjustable after 2 days.
I have some ugly sticks and other setups with daiwa reels that are good and seem to last. However, I need a couple more.

Looking for suggestions on reasonable priced gear (I'm not a pro or avid fisherman to justify $200 and up gear). Maybe in the $40-80 range. Something decent for the occasional 2-6 lb fish.
EDIT: spinning reel not baitcaster.

Back when I had my boat I got by with a Bass Pro extreme bait caster combo. I think but I may be wrong but it was about $75 also had some cheaper Bass pro spinning combos that were about $40-$50. Served me well.

Remember, you get what you pay for. Like others have said, talk to the guys at Bass Pro, they can help point you in the right direction for your price range.

Any of the combo deals at BassPro or Cabelas will do well. You can get some crazy deals on the combos vs buying separates. I recently bought a Lews combo for around $120. If I would have bought it separate, just the Rod was $200 and reel another $150. It was on a clearance deal. Something to think about. It’s a fantastic combo and by far my favorite.

Rods - you can't go wrong for the money with an Ugly Stick, - there are better roads, but for all round fishing they are hard to beat, and you won't feel butt hurt when you snap off the end in a car door.

For reels, any good brand in the $40-60 range - Shimano, Abu, Okuma, Penn, Cabelas/BP store brand. Again you can spend a lot more money, get a lot better reel, but probably won't notice the difference until you get some experience. With a spinning reel, I would insist on a front drag.

As mentioned above, all of the stores and catalogs have combos which represent good value. I would steer clear of WM combos because they usually have crap components. The sporting good stores care a lot more about their rep.

great idea fellas. Thank you!!
There is a Bass Pro 12 mins away. Been there 100 times, never thought about asking them folks.
My only issue is i'm still on crutches for the next 4 weeks (maybe more) with this broken leg. I recall that place being a zoo during the holidays, so likely will wait until after new year to venture over.

I am not a fisherman either, although I do have a lakehouse. Because most of my children travel from long distances to visit, they don't bring their own fishing gear. In addition to some smaller/cheaper setups for the grandkids, I also ended up buying four KastKing Centron Spinning Reel/Rod combos (2, 6'6" rods with the 2000 reels, and 2, 7' rods with the 3000 reels) from Amazon. Everyone that has used them has been extremely pleased, including several friends that are "self-professed fishin' experts". Have had them for about a year and no complaints from anyone yet.

upload_2019-12-11_14-11-41.png

I fish a good bit and I really like the pflueger president spinning reels. Bass Pro and Cabelas usually run combos for $70-80. I have about 6 of them and have no complaints.

Back
Top Bottom