• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

SUCCESS!!!! Remington 700 XCR 338 Lapua Magnum.

I haven't shot any big magnums with a suppressor but all of my loads in the rest of my guns shoot the same or better when suppressed. Some have 26" barrels too. There will be a poi change but my loads are not affected. Like I said I haven't shot any magnums suppressed.

Dang Bear! I don't remember even seeing it on the bench but obviously it's a laser. Really glad for you. Diligence!
It was the last rifle I pulled out. Then I went back and forth between it and my 308 walking them out to get come ups. It was a good day! You saw the accuracy of my AR, then the 308 did as expected (outstanding) with both my hunting and tactical loads. Even the cheap Savage AXIS 223 was doing the job, but was transonic at 600. (55 grain bullets out of a short barrel.) At 300 is was very tight. The 338 was crazy accurate as long as I did my thing. The first round I fired at 600 after scope adjustment was an X.9. Highest score possible.

I think "giddy" is an accurate description of my mood at the time. LOL!

Thread resurrection and update.

Though the rifle was shooting well when all conditions were right, it was not as reliably accurate as I want. I'm completely spoiled by my Red Hawk Rem 700 in 308, so I decided to send the 338 to Red Hawk and have them do their thing.

What they have done to the rifle:
1) Removed the crush washer and retimed the threading for the brake. Then Cerakoted the brake.
2) Recut the chamber.
3) Set the barrel back in the receiver to compensate for the recut chamber.
4) Bedded the action.
5) Blueprinted the action.
6) Put a Timney trigger in set at 2.5lb.
7) Mounted a Badger bolt handle.

They said it shoots 250 grain better than 300 and recommend their use. This is probably due to the fact the barrel has a 1-10 twist rather than a 1-9. They were getting consistent 0.5 MOA with the 250gr. We'll see how it performs for me.

Thread resurrection and update.

Though the rifle was shooting well when all conditions were right, it was not as reliably accurate as I want. I'm completely spoiled by my Red Hawk Rem 700 in 308, so I decided to send the 338 to Red Hawk and have them do their thing.

What they have done to the rifle:
1) Removed the crush washer and retimed the threading for the brake. Then Cerakoted the brake.
2) Recut the chamber.
3) Set the barrel back in the receiver to compensate for the recut chamber.
4) Bedded the action.
5) Blueprinted the action.
6) Put a Timney trigger in set at 2.5lb.
7) Mounted a Badger bolt handle.

They said it shoots 250 grain better than 300 and recommend their use. This is probably due to the fact the barrel has a 1-10 twist rather than a 1-9. They were getting consistent 0.5 MOA with the 250gr. We'll see how it performs for me.

Very nice......

Back
Top Bottom