• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

SUCCESS!!!! Remington 700 XCR 338 Lapua Magnum.

Yep! Found the right load for this beauty.

338 600 yards.jpg

Final group for zero at 600 yards. Just slightly over 0.5 MOA.

I need one of these rifles. I have somehow always managed to not buy a 338 LM.
They're pretty awesome, but a light weight one like this (9.75lbs) required developing a somewhat different shooting technique. Though the muzzle break is very efficient and recoil is not bad at all, there is so much energy going through the rifle when fired that if you put much pressure at all into the cheek weld it will cause the rifle to torque during recoil and results in horizontal stringing. I barely even touch the comb with my cheek when setting up on this rifle. Like I said, different.

Shoulder pressure also seems to be more critical than usual. If it's inconsistent shot to shot it will cause exaggerated vertical stringing.

They're pretty awesome, but a light weight one like this (9.75lbs) required developing a somewhat different shooting technique. Though the muzzle break is very efficient and recoil is not bad at all, there is so much energy going through the rifle when fired that if you put much pressure at all into the cheek weld it will cause the rifle to torque during recoil and results in horizontal stringing. I barely even touch the comb with my cheek when setting up on this rifle. Like I said, different.

Shoulder pressure also seems to be more critical than usual. If it's inconsistent shot to shot it will cause exaggerated vertical stringing.

Please tell me you are going to start suppressor testing, now that you have the load for that rifle.

For the Community, and all.

Please tell me you are going to start suppressor testing, now that you have the load for that rifle.

For the Community, and all.
Not for a while yet. First comes the SBR for my 9mm carbine and it's suppressor. Then it's time for a 22lr suppressor. After that all gets done I may get a suppressor for the 338, but I'm sure it will cause a difference in barrel harmonics, requiring a separate load for it.

I'm just going to enjoy the load I have for a while before I start that all over again.

Back
Top Bottom