• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

SUCCESS!!!! Remington 700 XCR 338 Lapua Magnum.

Keeping my fingers crossed. With the holiday, I'm not sure when I'll get another chance to work up a load. It could be a couple of weeks before I can get to the range again.

Just got done with my first serious attempt at working up a load. It got close to what I want (0.5 MOA) but not there yet and not as consistent as I would like. I'm going to change powders and go out again. I'll get it there. It's just a matter of time.

Found the load! After lots of experimentation and a serious lack of good shooting days I have a solid and consistent load. This pic is of the last four rounds I had with me today. (There are obviously several other hits that are not related to this rifle.) The ones that matter are the 0.75 inch group centered in the pic (at 4:30) and the hit in the bull's eye. (Yes, there's a double in that hole, but the second was from a different rifle. After consistently shooting groups of 0.65 to 0.70 inches at 100 yards I did an estimated scope adjustment and moved to 200 yards. The group centered in the pic were the first three rounds fired and the one in the bull was the last round after another scope adjustment. Due to bullet stabilization, the group increased in size by 0.10 at most.

Just so you don't have to do the math, a 0.75 inch group at 200 yards is 0.375 MOA. Oh, and I'm also only getting about 5fps variation in MV with an average of 2544fps. :rockon:

338 group.jpg

Load data:
Fireformed Lapua brass.
Fed Match Magnum Large Rifle Primers.
Berger 300gr. OTM bullets.
82.2 grains of Reloader 25 powder.
COAL to ogive is 2.9000.

Back
Top Bottom