• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Starting a AR10 build

Tldr

Of course you can make damn near any simple tool with a mill, lathe, welder, plasma cutter, bench vice, calipers, etc. Sometimes it's nice to just buy a proven tool.

And rearward force is very different than lateral and rotational force.
Too long did not read are you for real man? Like I said in the post it's just an idea that popped into my head. The whole post was based on not having access to purchasing one. WAFI what I proposed takes a welder, file and some scrap metal.

Too long did not read are you for real man? Like I said in the post it's just an idea that popped into my head. The whole post was based on not having access to purchasing one. WAFI what I proposed takes a welder, file and some scrap metal.
Couldn’t you just JB weld the barrel into the upper and save on the blocks or rod all together? Maybe wrap it with a piece of decorative tape…

Couldn’t you just JB weld the barrel into the upper and save on the blocks or rod all together? Maybe wrap it with a piece of decorative tape…
You must have been one that bought into that bucket of pig shyte. That post was suppose to be a joke like when you say throw some duct tape on it. Then I decided to expand on it just a bit to see all the backlash that would ensue. I was a little to convincing because there were four or five pages of comments. I have been a mechanic for 40 years and I have used it once to fill a gouge in a piece of aluminum before I painted it. The rest of it went bad and I tossed it in the trash. That crap is metal filler and that the fact of that. I seen other guys use it to fill a hole in a oil pans, headers or freeze plugs and a few other things but I have personally purchased one pack of that stuff and used it once and it had nothing to do with firearms. The gullibility of some folks is just absolutely gut busting. Everything you read on the internet is not true.

I would make one out an old BCG before I spend 140 bucks. All you need is a welder and a 5/8 piece of steel rod. Think about that and tell me if you know how it can be done?

No, it won’t do the same thing.

A bolt locks up BEHIND the lugs in the barrel extension. It keeps nothing from rotating. As a matter of fact, the bolt is specifically designed to rotate, and not allowing it to move fore and aft by welding it won’t change that.

The tool you are describing would rely on the gas key and/or the cam pin to stop rotation. Now you’re gonna damage the upper receiver in MULTIPLE places.

Make the “tool” you describe, apply torque, and the barrel will spin.

A reaction rod locks into the lugs in the barrel extension on the SIDES, which keeps it from rotating.

Apply answers that solve the questions asked by the OP. I’m not seeing someone that is going to weld up and make their own tools, but I could be wrong. Hell, I could weld up what you described, and I wouldn’t do it. At the end of the fabrication, I have an inferior tool, and I’ve wasted my time.

Wanna make a tool that does the same job as a reaction rod? Use a mill and lathe and copy the reaction rod. I can do that, too, but the amount of time it would take, and the cost of the materials, isn’t worth the effort when a Geissele or MI reaction rod is as cheap as they are. I have 5 of them on my bench currently.

Additionally, the inclusion of the “fin” on the top of the MI URR will let you know if you have an out of alignment barrel extension. A BCG won’t do that.

No, it won’t do the same thing.

A bolt locks up BEHIND the lugs in the barrel extension. It keeps nothing from rotating. As a matter of fact, the bolt is specifically designed to rotate, and not allowing it to move fore and aft by welding it won’t change that.

The tool you are describing would rely on the gas key and/or the cam pin to stop rotation. Now you’re gonna damage the upper receiver in MULTIPLE places.

Make the “tool” you describe, apply torque, and the barrel will spin.

A reaction rod locks into the lugs in the barrel extension on the SIDES, which keeps it from rotating.

Apply answers that solve the questions asked by the OP. I’m not seeing someone that is going to weld up and make their own tools, but I could be wrong. Hell, I could weld up what you described, and I wouldn’t do it. At the end of the fabrication, I have an inferior tool, and I’ve wasted my time.

Wanna make a tool that does the same job as a reaction rod? Use a mill and lathe and copy the reaction rod. I can do that, too, but the amount of time it would take, and the cost of the materials, isn’t worth the effort when a Geissele or MI reaction rod is as cheap as they are. I have 5 of them on my bench currently.

Additionally, the inclusion of the “fin” on the top of the MI URR will let you know if you have an out of alignment barrel extension. A BCG won’t do that.
Like I said I was just thinking out loud and it was just a theory. I have the correct tool and I was thinking of a way to get it done if the SHTF and someone had to improvise if they had to repair or assemble parts without the correct tools.

I was thinking that the rod welded at the rear was locked in the vise keeping the carrier from rotating while the lugs of the welded bolt engaged the lugs of the barrel extension. All this is strictly hypothetical thinking since we have all these tools on hand anyway. With the rod welded solid to the carrier and the bolt welded to the carrier as well nothing would rotate. The carrier would be a non rotational piece because the bearing rails would keep it in line. The rod at the rear would lock in the vice keeping the receiver and carrier from rotating at all. Like I say the point is mute since we aren't in that situation anyway. It's all just shooting the s**t anyway.

Of course we want the tool that is specifically designed to get the job done. That's the beauty of the internet and money to aquire the correct items. Like I said at the end of the first post I was just trying to think of a way to do it if welder ans file was all you had to work with. Remember this is a SHTF scenario and a lathe and all the modern machines are not your disposal. We are obviously not in the same page. I am thinking all the machine shop tools are not available. We are working with nothing but a few simple tools and trying to come up with a way to get the job done with the few items at our disposal in a not so ideal environment. It might not work, it's just a theory as I stated before.

If I’m ever in a situation like that, I’ll take comfort in knowing that hand tight will last me the duration of whatever situation has me breaking out the welder and looking for old worn out gun parts…

Back
Top Bottom