• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Starting a AR10 build

Jackie Graham

Eagle Icon Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
676   0
Reaction score
Starting a AR10 build. I am starting with the upper. It is going to be a budget build with a 16" barrel and a MI 15" hand guard. I need recommendations on a stripped upper. The MI hand guard is for a DPMS upper.

I am debating on whether to build a lower or just wait until PSA has one on sale.

I will be looking for the following parts in the near future.
BCG
Charging handle
Gas tube
Gas block
Flash hider
Gas block/ tube roll pin
Stripped upper

AR10's can get squirrelly. There is not an accepted spec, so there are instances where you can have an issue with an upper receiver from one company, and a lower receiver from another.

My recommendation is keep the upper and the lower receiver the same brand.

Aero Precision is a good way to go without getting too expensive, but not going so cheap that you increase your chances of issues.

We have all those parts in stock at TruPrep in Marietta.

Yeah I am new to the AR10 game. Since I have a MI Hand guard in a DPMS profile, I was wanting to make sure that the upper that I buy will match up correctly.
I will probably go with the same manufacturer for the lower. Most likely buy a complete lower but nothing fancy.

DPMS profile can be high or low, so you need to know which one you have to match with the upper. As suggested (warned) by cmshoot cmshoot , keep the upper and lower receiver the same brand, and, hopefully, you can find one that works with your handguard.
In the link below, scroll down to "Do I have a high or low profile upper receiver."

I have built several big frames ARs and by far the easiest to do are aero precision, and IRRC, they are DPMS high on the handguard. If you plan on building your lower, the only LPK I have found without issues is Aero. You'll also need to make sure you get the correct recoil system. A carbine system in an AR10 requires a very short buffer. Most barrels recommend an adjustable gas block as well. The bcg is the weakest link, spend some money on it. They are fun to build.

On another note, a handguard that requires a timed barrel nut, like an aero or a wilson, will be the worst nightmare you can imagine. MI and SLR rifleworks do not require timing.

Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom