• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

SHTF which one do you choose?

Pistol or Rifle?

• Total voters
In a SHTF scenario, if I had to travel with a gun larger than a pistol, I guess the key question is will I have to carry this gun outside of a vehicle at times?
If so, I want the ability to CONCEAL it. Be the gray man, not the open-carry guy attracting attention, maybe pizzing people off, especially if you're a stranger to their area (just passing thru).
Also, there may be military / police out there detaining people for open carry, or disarming visibly armed people.

So unless you're in an all-out war, shooting bad guys and cops and national guardsmen all alike,
I say there's value in sometimes tucking an arm-braced AR "pistol" under a coat or inside a folded blanket or in a duffle bag, esp. in urban / suburban areas.

In that scenario I'd want either 300bo or a b&t apc10. I assumed "shtf" and "which long gun" did away with concealment scenarios. Probably the 300bo with a quick detach suppressor and a variety of rounds.

What if you have to abandon the location your in? All that reloading supplies and ammo is awfully heavy.
This is why I think I'm switching to 22lr for bug out. Ammo is light so you can carry thousands of rounds easily. 25rd mags for when you need to put more shots in something.... Plus if i run out who doesn't have 22lr....

I built a 10/22 for this exact purpose. Light weight, accurate, 1-8 LPVO done. My next project is a light weight Ruger MK II build with reflex sight.

This is why I think I'm switching to 22lr for bug out. Ammo is light so you can carry thousands of rounds easily. 25rd mags for when you need to put more shots in something.... Plus if i run out who doesn't have 22lr....

I built a 10/22 for this exact purpose. Light weight, accurate, 1-8 LPVO done. My next project is a light weight Ruger MK II build with reflex sight.
Where are you headed on foot?

I voted for 16"

I guess it really depends on how hard the S is HTF... the shortest .223 in my collect has a 17" barrel, but I also have a .308 with a 16.25" barrel that normally wears a suppressor.

Currently picking out a new rifle or pistol and would like a little input. Which one do you think would be better in a SHTF scenario in our environment we live in? I really do like the 11.5, but would like some more knowledgeable input.

Have at it:
I'd choose the 11.5 in my Suburban environment. 'IMO'

Just incase we can’t use our vehicles that require computers I have a place I will be heading to, that’s also stocked with plenty of 22ammo. Haha

If I have the ability to drive, going to same place but will bring more stuff
You're going to leave your house, on foot, anticipating that you may need more ammo than what you can carry in 5.56 and choose a rimfire?

Back
Top Bottom