• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

SHTF which one do you choose?

Pistol or Rifle?

• Total voters
I have several short barreled AR's in various calibers (5.56, 300 BO, 6.5 Grendel), but I would grab my 16" BCM in 5.56 (14.5" barrel with a pinned and welded flash hider). There's nothing major wrong with the shorter barrels. I would arm my friends and family with my short barreled AR's. In a SHTF situation I'm going to avoid close quarters and structure clearing like the plague. Just way too risky behavior for me. I want the commonality of 5.56/223 ammo and AR mags, and 16" barrels tend to have less ammo related issues if you shoot weak-ass steel case 55 grain ammo one mag then hot 77 grain match grade ammo in the next. Better terminal ballistics at distance. Less flash signature. Less wear and tear on the BCG, so more reliability. It is a decision based on mole hills, not a mountain of difference.

Do you have a suppressor for it? If so then the shorter barrel makes more sense. A full size can on a 16" AR makes it feel like a pike.

If you're not suppressing (why not?) the 16" makes more sense.
I’m a smaller type guy so a 11.5 weight difference and mobility is/feels better. With that said definitely like hearing different opinions and perspectives

If it's 5.56 go with the 16 inch. The primary thing that makes that round effective is it's velocity. Don't give any of that up. If it's a bigger round, then you have issues with ammo availability and a shorter effective range.

My personal go to weapon has a 20 inch barrel and I've never had problems during room clearing exercises.

Back
Top Bottom