• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

SHTF in metro suburbs

Silver and gold won't get you a fraction as far as water and food will. WtF am I going to do with your gold when I'm hungry.

My sentiments exactly.

I think if a SHTF situation really did occur, gold and silver would be damn near worthless. People would just pop you when you tried to trade. If society really did collapse, the world would get rough-quickly. People are predators. People are predators which are kept docile and relatively harmless be cheap, available food and modern conveniences.

I would imagine the inner cities would turn into armageddonland very, very quickly. Think of all those rich saps in Manhattan who will not be able to fend for themselves. All their wealth would mean squat when it came down to hungry hordes pillaging the city. And we are talking several days to a couple of weeks before it gets that bad.

Last edited:
My sentiments exactly.

I think if a SHTF situation really did occur, gold and silver would be damn near worthless. People would just pop you when you tried to trade. If society really did collapse, the world would get rough-quickly. People are predators. People are predators which are kept docile and relatively harmless be cheap, available food and modern conveniences.

I would imagine the inner cities would turn into armageddonland very, very quickly. Think of all those rich saps in Manhattan who will not be able to fend for themselves. All their wealth would mean squat when it came down to hungry hordes pillaging the city. And we are talking several days to a couple of weeks before it gets that bad.

as soon as the restaurants run out of food they're screwed...they'll starve....probably don't even know how to find their kitchens...precious metals are more for the time period when the idiots who didn't prepare all die off and those who are left are trying to rebuild an economy...

as soon as the restaurants run out of food they're screwed...they'll starve....probably don't even know how to find their kitchens...precious metals are more for the time period when the idiots who didn't prepare all die off and those who are left are trying to rebuild an economy...

Good Point:

I think you are right. Some type of economy will eventually be constructed to replace what was lost. May take a long time, but I can see how gold and silver would have their places in such a situation.

How are we supposed to support eachother from 120 miles away? Meet somewhere?

The objective is to find someone in your general ao and go from there. I was speaking generally I.e. I have thrown out invitations to several in my ao with little if any interest. Now if you deem it necessary to bug out and head my way if we already know each other then perhaps our security would be better in that scenario. This is assuming you are living in the specific areas you are enquiring about. I live in the country. We are a very self sufficient community here.

I feel bad for those that have no place to go and even worse for those that won't take the little bit of time to network now before shtf. You just may by chance end up 120 miles from your place due to no particular fault of your own. Not being prepared or having some connections will make it a very tough journey by yourself. After all you have to sleep sometime so no 24hr security patrols by yourself.

I'm interested man...:p

I admit I'm not sure about comeing CLOSER to Atlanta, not to mention being a good 30-40 miles from you and having a pretty solid area(overall). Maybe I should talk you into coming out my way and we do a general assessment of my "hood". I'm also looking at so many directions I need to go to prep that I am frozen with indecision in effect. Can goods? MRE style food? Garden(eeps)? Store water or water purification? Bug in or Bug out? My place or yours? Guns/bows...caliber, quantity of ammo, scope/open sight, primitive/modern, compound/recurve/crossbow? I know there's a lot of good advice to be had and I guess I need to get buzy availing myself of it.

Fortunately, y'all seem confident that Atlanta is heading NORTH if it happens. I like that.

Silver and gold won't get you a fraction as far as water and food will. WtF am I going to do with your gold when I'm hungry.

I think the value of gold and silver is often misunderstood. It is a good hedge against inflation, the devaluation of the dollar. That in fact may happen at the rate we are going. However, you are right that it would be pretty worthless in a real SHTF situation. Then, useful stuff, toilet paper, ammo, food, water, gas, will be the currency of choice.

I admit I'm not sure about comeing CLOSER to Atlanta, not to mention being a good 30-40 miles from you and having a pretty solid area(overall). Maybe I should talk you into coming out my way and we do a general assessment of my "hood". I'm also looking at so many directions I need to go to prep that I am frozen with indecision in effect. Can goods? MRE style food? Garden(eeps)? Store water or water purification? Bug in or Bug out? My place or yours? Guns/bows...caliber, quantity of ammo, scope/open sight, primitive/modern, compound/recurve/crossbow? I know there's a lot of good advice to be had and I guess I need to get buzy availing myself of it.

Fortunately, y'all seem confident that Atlanta is heading NORTH if it happens. I like that.
I'm actually more east than north of you. We need to get together and definately asess your situation. I think many will go in the path of least resistance regardless of direction.

Personally were I in that situation I'd be heading south towards the gulf coast. Abundant food in the ocean.

You'd be surprised at how many people may be in your area that are thinking the same way. Like 83rd recon says, you need to start networking. Just asking the questions shows you are on the right track to figuring out what your needs are. If you need assistance, PM me, and I'll share what I've found along the way.

There are quite a few preppers here on ODT, too.

You'd be surprised at how many people may be in your area that are thinking the same way. Like 83rd recon says, you need to start networking. Just asking the questions shows you are on the right track to figuring out what your needs are. If you need assistance, PM me, and I'll share what I've found along the way.

There are quite a few preppers here on ODT, too.

i'll start networking about 2-3 months after when all the non-preppers have starved to death or killed each other....the ones left will by definition be survivors...until then, there are very few people i'm interested in having know what i'm up to...

Back
Top Bottom