• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Shipping an antique revolver. Is direct shipping a viable option.?

SchmittZoid

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
Hamlet Squire of Tomfoolery
282   0
Reaction score
So I have a deal to sell this 1877 Colt Lightning to a buyer out of state. Every one who has been interested in it says "ship it to me directly, ATF doesn't require background checks on anything made before 1897."

I know that's what the regulations say, but I don't want to get into a legal issue just because some shipping company employee doesn't know an 1896 from an 1899.

Anyone have experience shipping an antique gun out of state person to person?

What are your thoughts?

Z

I believe UPS and FedEx require an FFL on one end to ship any kind of gun now, although an antique *might* be an exception.

USPS is supposed to do it without a problem, but YMMV. In theory it should be the same as shipping a black powder gun.

This is the gun. Made in 1876, just before the cut off date.

Z

Would you take the chance?

Colt Lightning 1897-001.JPG
Colt Lightning 1897-003.JPG
Colt Lightning 1897-004.JPG

Take a cookie can, like the ones from Christmas time, wrap the pistol in a cloth, then wrap it in a bunch of aluminum foil and pack the sides and top with it as well. Then box up and ship. Good to go.

If you can prove the manufacturing date of that specific gun and it qualifies as an antique you should be good.

If you can prove the manufacturing date of that specific gun and it qualifies as an antique you should be good.

My issue is that there is zero upside for me as the seller. I save nothing. The buyer saves the trip to his FFL and possibly a few bucks in fees.

The downside on my end is that if a question arises, it could potentially cost me tens of thousands in legal fees to "prove" my innocence.

Z

Back
Top Bottom