• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Sellers Beware

I have backed out of a few offers, My rule is you must have 10 posts and 2 good feedback or I will not deal with you

I was new once and had fewer then 10 posts and no feedback. Luckily people still gave me a chance and I think I've proven myself worthy. That said I always ask to see a DL or GWL. And if someone where to tell me that they are buying it for a friend I would have withdrawn as well!

So if you had sold it to that individual, you would have broken the law! Greed overcomes some people

Short answer is there is no law against a straw purchase in a face to face deal, only crime is lying on the 4473 at a dealer sale if you answer "Yes" to the first question asking if you are the actual intended user/owner or however they word it.

Short answer is there is no law against a straw purchase in a face to face deal, only crime is lying on the 4473 at a dealer sale if you answer "Yes" to the first question asking if you are the actual intended user/owner or however they word it.

Thank you. Its not illegal, just not prudent.

Ummm, where is the law saying that somebody can't buy for somebody else in a private sale.

I can't find it, please help.

I'm not saying you have to do it. Do what you want. just wondering where the law is.

It's a Straw-Purchase. When filling out a 4473, you must state that it's for you and if you're buying it for someone else, knowingly making a false statement on the Form 4473 indicating that the straw purchaser is the actual purchaser, when this is not the case. While no 4473 is necessary for private sales, how do you know that the "friend" isn't a felon?

While no 4473 is necessary for private sales, how do you know that the "friend" isn't a felon?

Great point and the reason why I wouldnt have done the deal, but also not the question being asked. Like you said, no 4473 required, so its not against the law. It might not be smart, but its not illegal.

Shoot, I know people that refused to deal with me because I wanted to see their GA driver's license. Not read it, or copy it, just glance at it to make sure they were a state resident. One of those types might not have a problem selling to anyone that doesnt come right out and say "I'm buying this for my friend the felon from Florida."

Back
Top Bottom