• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

SCOTUS ruling on gun seizures

I'm not a lawyer but if everything in a home becomes community property JUST because it's in the home, well, that would present ALL KINDS of interesting legal issues. "Well officer, those drugs are hers too!"
Not just because it is in the home. Your brother who lives with you could not legally give them permission to take your guns but your wife could. Community property means anything that you own is also your spouse's property. At least that is my understanding.

Not just because it is in the home. Your brother who lives with you could not legally give them permission to take your guns but your wife could. Community property means anything that you own is also your spouse's property. At least that is my understanding.
I'm not buying that as laid out in this specific situation, otherwise any spouse could force a partition of assets at anytime.
But, given how idiotic certain laws are, I'm not going to categorically dismiss it either.

I'm not buying that as laid out in this specific situation, otherwise any spouse could force a partition of assets at anytime.
But, given how idiotic certain laws are, I'm not going to categorically dismiss it either.
I am not a lawyer but what I am saying here is that if you were in a coma and your wife had the police come and remove your firearms from your home, you would have no grounds to sue the police. Not sure if you would have grounds to sue your wife or not. I have my doubts.
As for a spouse demanding a partition of assets at any time, I don't think you would find a court willing to go along with that unless there was a divorce or legal separation happening.

I am not a lawyer but what I am saying here is that if you were in a coma and your wife had the police come and remove your firearms from your home, you would have no grounds to sue the police. Not sure if you would have grounds to sue your wife or not. I have my doubts.
As for a spouse demanding a partition of assets at any time, I don't think you would find a court willing to go along with that unless there was a divorce or legal separation happening.
What's the difference between a wife requesting police take your firearms while you are in a coma and requesting they empty your safe of cash?

What's the difference between a wife requesting police take your firearms while you are in a coma and requesting they empty your safe of cash?
That is not the point here. Legally she could take your money out of your safe any time she wanted (coma or not). You may or may not have legal recourse against her if she did but I doubt it. If she asked the police to remove the guns because she didn't feel safe having them there then all I am saying is you have no legal recourse against the police for carrying out her request. They would be acting in good faith.

That is not the point here. Legally she could take your money out of your safe any time she wanted (coma or not). You may or may not have legal recourse against her if she did but I doubt it. If she asked the police to remove the guns because she didn't feel safe having them there then all I am saying is you have no legal recourse against the police for carrying out her request. They would be acting in good faith.
Not buying it, at all. The implications are wide ranging and indefensible.

Not buying it, at all. The implications are wide ranging and indefensible.
Not here to argue. Call the police and throw a hypothetical question at them. Tell them your spouse took money from your safe and gave it to a charity without your permission and see if there is anything they can do about it. Or gave it to her boyfriend for that matter.

Some of yall act like this was a bad ruling?
I don’t think it was a bad ruling. I think ALL nine justice made a wise decision and reversed what local authorities were trying to do to this man. And I do not worry that all NINE of them vote against the city’s commies. Which can tells me “there is still hope “...

Back
Top Bottom