• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Scenario: In defense of others?

StateLine

Default rank <3500 posts
ODT Junkie!
24   0
Reaction score
Ok, sometimes these "scenario threads" disintegrate into silliness, and that's ok too. :) But there are usually some good answers and some thought provoking discussions mixed in. So I thought I'd go ahead and try to lay out a scenario. I'll try to keep it fairly simple and straightforward and see if we can agree on an appropriate response. If you normally carry concealed, then assume you're carrying your usual EDC. If you don't normally carry, then assume you're not armed with a gun.

You're at the local bowling alley with your significant other. It's evening, business is steady but not packed. There are entrances/exits in the front and rear of the building with parking on both sides. The rear parking lot is generally less populated and not particularly well lit. You leave your date at your bowling lane and walk over to the snack bar to get a couple of cokes. The snack bar is near the rear entrance. As you pass the back door, a person excitedly rushes in and says "There's a man beating a woman in the parking lot! She needs help right now!" Through the open door you can see a woman laying on her back in the middle of the parking lot with a male figure straddling her, standing over her yelling in an aggressive manner, but not physically striking her at that time. He is not visibly armed. She is clearly upset and crying. They are about 15-20 yards away.

Now what? :pop2:

Go out, hand on gun, (but still bolstered) and figure out what's going on. Until I know for a fact what's going on, I don't want to escalate the situation. I'm not shooting someone over he said she said.
edit, and have someone call 911, things may get bumpy.

Last edited:
Tell someone to call the cops. Step over ask if she is ok. Chances are that the man will now get in your face and is now the aggressor. And now it is on. (and if it has to be said, gun doesn't come into play unless needed, not even a reach for)

SOB might say that you pulled a gun on him for no reason and in domestic disputes she will probly side with him anyways.

Last edited:
Ok, sometimes these "scenario threads" disintegrate into silliness, and that's ok too. :) But there are usually some good answers and some thought provoking discussions mixed in. So I thought I'd go ahead and try to lay out a scenario. I'll try to keep it fairly simple and straightforward and see if we can agree on an appropriate response. If you normally carry concealed, then assume you're carrying your usual EDC. If you don't normally carry, then assume you're not armed with a gun.

You're at the local bowling alley with your significant other. It's evening, business is steady but not packed. There are entrances/exits in the front and rear of the building with parking on both sides. The rear parking lot is generally less populated and not particularly well lit. You leave your date at your bowling lane and walk over to the snack bar to get a couple of cokes. The snack bar is near the rear entrance. As you pass the back door, a person excitedly rushes in and says "There's a man beating a woman in the parking lot! She needs help right now!" Through the open door you can see a woman laying on her back in the middle of the parking lot with a male figure straddling her, standing over her yelling in an aggressive manner, but not physically striking her at that time. He is not visibly armed. She is clearly upset and crying. They are about 15-20 yards away.

Now what? :pop2:

Man, that one (domestic calls) is almost a cops worst nightmare much less a civilian.

So many variables as THINGS ARE NOT ALWAYS WHAT THEY APPEAR TO BE... especially with domestics but probably:

Have someone immediately call 911.

Loud verbal challenge/ command ("Hey! STOP HITTING HER! We've called the police & they're on the way!") hopefully from behind cover to get POSSIBLE antagonist focused on off the apparent victim & on you (distance is your friend here where possible).

If POSSIBLE attack stops hold position, make a good witness, & wait for police.

If POSSIBLE attack continues, increase verbal challenge while continually scanning possible antagonist for weapons & cautiously closing distance while still remaining near or behind cover. It may be necessary to stay where you are.
Also ASSUME he may have accomplices so SEARCH & SCAN for them! Also watch for responding L.E. Officers so that you don't get confused with being a "Bad Guy"... especially if you draw your weapon. That drawn weapon makes you a target to L.E. if you don't comply & communicate w/ responding officers.

If it seems the attack is real & the apparent victim is truly in danger then there are a number of possible solutions that would require one to be present to make the right call.

Options would include:

Stopping the assault by mere presence & announcement that L.E. have been called & are enroute.

Using a less lethal option if available to gain compliance.

Physically restraining subject.

And... as a probable last resort, if the apparent attacker was in possession of a weapon or other disparity of force, and if the attack was severe enough possible use of deadly force.

These are scenarios we discuss in class which is why often they go 4-5 hrs. instead of only 3.

This one must have been too easy because the responses are fairly unanimous, "wrecker bar" notwithstanding. :lol: I'd say an impact weapon wouldn't be excessive at this point. Just know the difference between the "green" strike zones and the "red" strike zones. :D

A couple of things to consider:
You are authorized to use deadly force to protect your life, or those under your protection (ie. family)
Creating a huge disparity of force (ie. gun vs fists or something not immediately life threatening) can get YOU locked up with a quickness.

Having said that, if someone is threatening someone near you with immediate, deadly force (gun, knife, etc), you better believe I would interpret that as a threat to my life - and act accordingly.

YMMV, IANAL

Back
Top Bottom