• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Rock Island Redo!.....RE DONE!!. Updated pics on pg. 6

Well, Spent about 8 hours yesterday on prep and bluing. First let me say, this "express" blue, was anything but express!!

Started buy degreasing with carb cleaner and wax/grease remover. followed up with acetone.....

ria10.jpg

Then finished up with a few cycles in the ultra sonic cleaner with water dish washing liquid. and a long rinse in tap water

r11.jpg

Set up a boil pot on a turkey frier. used filtered water. This pic shows the first boil of the slide. The bluing liquid gets swabbed on after the parts are heated, goes on just like rust blue, but the red rust starts to form right away, within a few mins, its ready for a 5 min boil. This turns the rust black. Dry, card with steel wool, repeat.....again and again!!!

ria12.jpg

After 10 cycles of this, the slide looks pretty darn good. A nice velvet black, but for the first 8 boils, it was brown, was really starting to freak me out! then all of a sudden it came out of the pot black!!
The frame on the other hand.... still has a brown tint to it. It didnt show in this picture, but in bright sun light, the damn thing is still brown!! I didnt make it out to the shop today, but should have some time tomorrow. Gonna clean the frame again and try a few more boils before I give up.

ria13.jpg

Ill update when I get some work done, one way or another..

Man, it's looking sharp!

I'll bet the frame is just gonna take some more dips, since you said the slide became black all of a sudden. I have absolutely no idea what I'm talking about, but I would assume they would naturally take the bluing differently since they are probably different steel types? Again, I have no idea, but I'd definitely try a few more if you're not happy with it. I mean, you've come this far, right?

benmmc, I agree, I think because they are different alloys, they are taking the chemical reaction differently. Yep, got this much time in it, whats a few more hours to see if it comes out right.
Ill get some pictures in the sun light so you can see what im talking about...

Ok, so I put the reciever through 3 more cycles of rust/boil/card. It did darken a little, but its done. The solution just wasnt rusting the surface anymore, so Im gonna stick a fork in it!
Under direct sunlight there is a dark brown hue that shows through. Indoors or out of the sun its nice and black. If I ever try and do anything about it, I will try slow rust blue. Or I might send it to a local smith for hot bluing. To be fair, Im being pretty critical cause it does look pretty darn good, but if I had to do it again, I would stick with either slow rust, or hot blue.

I just stuck it together for the pictures. Thats an Ed Brown NM trigger that will be installed perminantly in a few days.
It looks streaky because there is some oil on the surface. I wiped most of it off just for the pictures, then soaked it pretty good in rem oil. Ill let it sit like that till tomorrow.

ria14.jpg

ria15.jpg

ria16.jpg

Im including this last pic because its the only one that shows the brown color. The same area looks blue in another pic from a different angle...

ria17.jpg

Will finally get started on staking the front sight tomorrow.

Thanks guys.
Its been a fun project over all so far. The bluing was frustrating, but it is my first attempt, so that should be expected with this type of process. In the end it is a nice durable finish. The remaining work is back in my comfort zone so it should go a little smoother...(should )..

Back
Top Bottom