• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Rock Island Redo!.....RE DONE!!. Updated pics on pg. 6

markj

Default rank <1000 posts
Frontiersman
95   0
Reaction score
Hey Guys,
I do alot of home gunsmithing projects, but Ive never been very good about taking pictures or posting any info. So I thought Id give it a try.

This is My wifes Rock Island Compact 1911. She picked it up about 6 months ago at the Gwinnett gun show. This thread will highlight some of the work I do to it, and finally my attempt to re finish it with a rust blue.

ria1.jpg

Right out of the box it would have made a really cool full auto 1911!! (The Disconector spring was tucked under the disconector!!). It only took a few mins. to fix and it really has been a great shooting gun.

A couple of months ago I decided I wanted to try doing a 30 lpi checkered front strap. I figured her RIA would pe the perfect test subject since the 30lpi is a little more comfortable than the typical 25 usually done. Well, now I know why everyone does 25!! the fine checkering is much more difficult to do right! I didnt take any pictures of the process, it was a lot of swearing and chewing up my fingers on the file. Took a few days to get it 99% done, I just put some cold blue on it so she could continue shooting it till I was ready to finish the project.

Well, Im ready..........

Here it is after bead blasting the frame to remove the cold blue. The arrow shows the edge still needs a little clean up. I used some Swiss files to square everythig up.

ria3.jpg

- This next picture shows some things on the stock pistol that need a little attention.
- The thumb safety overhangs the frame
The beavertail is a pretty bad fit all around. Normally this would just get replaced, but I wanted to see what we could do using as many stock parts as we could.
- Last, the slide slightly overhangs the back of the frame.

ria2.jpg

Spent a few hours working on the aft end last night. Mostly small files and various grades of sandpaper wrapped around the files. Made the initial blend of the slide and frame with a sanding drum on a dremmel.
Its pretty close.....

IMG_0652.jpg

Here is how it looked at the end of the session yesterday......

ria5.jpg

Last edited:
After work today I focused on the slide. Removed the little GI Sights that will be replaced with a set from MGW. Bead blasted the whole thing then took the flat sides down to 600 grit paper. The picture makes it look glossier than it is. Really going for an overall satin look.

Ive tried Durakote and Ceracote, they are good finishes, but in the end, they are paint. And as Sharps40 said in his awesome Marauder thread " Paint is for fence posts!" LOL :) JK, I know a good Ceracote job will likely be more durable than the blue finish, but theres just something "right" about a blued 1911!!!!
Im going to try Mark Lee Express Blue #1. This is a form of rust blue that is a little accelerated, should be able to get it done in one or two days. It has gotten some great reviews, so we will give it a try.

Here is the slide prepped for blueing.

ria6.jpg

Some of you probably noticed the lack of roll mark. Im not trying to hide the fact that is a Rock Island, Im just not a fan of having a huge advertizing billboard on the side of my gun!! I just like the nice clean look.

Tomorrow or friday Ill start prepping the frame and small parts

Thanks for looking,
-Mark

Last edited:
Thanks guys. Its a fun project. Ive always loved working with metal. I spent 15 years working as an Aircraft Mechanic, the vast majority as a sheet metal guy.

When this project is done Ive got a really cool Colt Rail Gun with a naked front strap. It will be getting the 25 lpi checkering and Ill try and make a thread detailing it. Its really not dificult, just requires some patience! its not gonna get done in one day. If you go slow, its fairly easy and looks and feels great.

This little Rock feels like its glued to your hand.

The checkering front strap job is outstanding sir! You got mad file skills. I considered doing one of these in a hot blue to see how it would turn out. Watching your progress!

Thanks guys.
RamRodDoc, Id really like to get a hot blueing setup going here at the house, been looking into it, reading about all the different formulas. Just havent tried experimenting with it yet. Thought Id see how this rust blue process works out.

Didnt get much done this afternoon. Started sanding the flats on the frame. The frame is gonna need a lot more work than the slide to get it to where I want it. The "flat" sides are anything but flat! So its gonna be a little harder to smooth out. They also left a lot of pretty deep scratches and tool marks under the grip panels. You would never see them with the grips on, but Im going to spend a little more time getting it cleaned up.

Gotta wrap it up for today, but might be able to start bluing by tomorrow afternoon...........

ria7.jpg

ria8.jpg

Back
Top Bottom