• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Review: Smith & Wesson SW22 Victory Target Gun

Well, I did the side-by-side test last night, and the results were... mixed.

With some ammo the factory barrel seemed to do better, while the VQ barrel really shone with others. In general, the cheaper the ammo the better the factory barrel did, with the exception of CCI Blazer, the VQ barrel gave me my best groups with that.

As for the grips, they are definitely larger and that helped get my trigger finger located correctly. The factory grips were just a little small for me, resulting in my finger wanting to go too far into the trigger guard. Some day if I'm feeling flush I may pop for the VQ target grips as well, but I think the next thing is going to be a red-dot.

With some ammo the factory barrel seemed to do better, while the VQ barrel really shone with others. In general, the cheaper the ammo the better the factory barrel did, with the exception of CCI Blazer, the VQ barrel gave me my best groups with that.

As for the grips, they are definitely larger and that helped get my trigger finger located correctly. The factory grips were just a little small for me, resulting in my finger wanting to go too far into the trigger guard. Some day if I'm feeling flush I may pop for the VQ target grips as well, but I think the next thing is going to be a red-dot.
Thanks for the range report. Great information for sure. I'd like to know what actual ammo you tried in each, if you can remember.

I splurged for the C-MORE RTS2R sight and I'm so glad I did. If I could afford it, I'd put that sight on EVERY one of my .22 competition guns. It's just amazing.

Ammo was CCI Blazer LRN, S&B LRN 40gr subsonic, and Norma 40gr LRN 'target' (1100fps). Kind of everything from slow (the S&B) to a little hot (Norma) with the CCIs sitting right in the middle at a guess.

That C-More looks nice but you ain't kidding when you say 'splurged'. I've always heard of C-More in the context of competition shooting (IPSC and such). What's the big improvement over say, a FastFire 3 (which I have already just waiting for a mount)?

Also, have you had any problems with the polymer rail holding zero? I've heard it mentioned but never actually seen anyone demonstrate or document it. I see VQ is selling a metal rail now for $45, but I'm wondering if that's a solution looking for a problem.

Ammo was CCI Blazer LRN, S&B LRN 40gr subsonic, and Norma 40gr LRN 'target' (1100fps). Kind of everything from slow (the S&B) to a little hot (Norma) with the CCIs sitting right in the middle at a guess.

That C-More looks nice but you ain't kidding when you say 'splurged'. I've always heard of C-More in the context of competition shooting (IPSC and such). What's the big improvement over say, a FastFire 3 (which I have already just waiting for a mount)?

Also, have you had any problems with the polymer rail holding zero? I've heard it mentioned but never actually seen anyone demonstrate or document it. I see VQ is selling a metal rail now for $45, but I'm wondering if that's a solution looking for a problem.
The sight picture on the C-More is about twice the area of a FFII, which is why I like it. In pins and plates, we start from a table rest, so bringing the gun up and acquiring the first target is virtually instantaneous with the C-More. It's beyond easy to find the target and the dot with both eyes open.

I've never had a problem (so far) with the OEM rail coming loose. I even took it off a time or two and still had zero when I put it back on. I've been luck, but it probably would loosen up more if a person were taking it on and off frequently. The amazing thing about this SW22 is that it just doesn't seem to ever get dirty. I keep thinking I should take it down and clean it, and then I look inside and everything is still bright and shiny.

Thanks for update. Good shooting!

You want to get it dirty... shoot it with a can! Even then it's not a bad cleanup job. Dealing with the suppressor is always the worst part of the job.

Interesting about the C-More (now I get the name too). I have a couple of red dots on pistols and I've always ended up taking them off because of the little dance I have to do to find the red dot initially.

That's why I have the spare FF, it was on my Glock MOS and drove me nuts. I'm better off with iron sights than a dot that takes 10 seconds to find each time. If this makes that go away, it'd be worth the 2x price of the FF.

Dang. This is going to end up as a thousand dollar gun if I keep going.

I thought shooting 22 was supposed to be cheap.

Have you replaced the trigger yet? If not that a look at these, the best $40 you can spend on it. I can't say enough good things about it.

https://www.tandemkross.com/Victory-Trigger-for-SW22-Victory_p_251.html

IMG_0026.jpg

On order. Also got the mag safety delete since from what they say just leaving it out hurts mag ejection.

What do you think of the trigger? I got a chance to shoot my Buckmart yesterday after installing it, and about to order one for my Ruger now. I'm starting to buy into the flat faced triggers, especially with the over travel adjustment.

Back
Top Bottom