• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Review: Smith & Wesson SW22 Victory Target Gun

So far, this is what I have to show for trying to take it apart (the black one):
View attachment 788271
(It wasn't originally spiral, it looked just like the other.)
After your experience I didn't use the one that came with it - hoping I can keep it with the gun, if I ever get it loose. If I can find a socket of the same size, I may try it with a short piece of allen wrench (might as well use this one, if there's a piece straight enough).
All the smaller screws came loose fine.

BTW, I did learn that if you remove the left-side grip panel, watch out for the slide lock coming out. Luckily I didn't lose it and got it back in right.
When it finally does break loose your heart will skip a beat because it sounds like the screw just broke off.

Good luck! Keep us posted.

Either I lucked out or it's just I'm a heavy handed guy, mine was no problem .....
Or maybe you got one like they provide to those who write reviews, they never seem to have a problem (current company exempted :-).
I, on the other hand, must'uv gotten toobaroque's's twin.
Hopefully when it breaks, it won't break.

Yeah, mine was pretty easy as well, but it sounds like there was some real variation around the torque spec. I wonder if Smith recalibrated that or if it's still luck of the draw like the first batch seems to be.

The VQ barrel I ordered was this one...

801-i-fluted-sw22-barrel.jpg

This barrel typically comes with a forward comp, hence the higher price. but I really wanted this one since I can move my front sight over to it. When I emailed asking whether that could be deleted, I ended up talking with Scott Volquartsen, who gave me a the same price as their carbon fiber barrel.

They are just ramping up for the Victory, and didn't have a separate part number on the web site for that config, so I just called in and placed a phone order. Should be here in another week or so.

Yeah, mine was pretty easy as well, but it sounds like there was some real variation around the torque spec. I wonder if Smith recalibrated that or if it's still luck of the draw like the first batch seems to be.

The VQ barrel I ordered was this one...

View attachment 789416

This barrel typically comes with a forward comp, hence the higher price. but I really wanted this one since I can move my front sight over to it. When I emailed asking whether that could be deleted, I ended up talked with Scott Volquartsen, who gave me a the same price as their carbon fiber barrel.

They are just ramping up for the Victory, and didn't have a seperate part number on the web site for that config, so I just call in and placed a phone order. Should be here in another week or so.
That's the barrel I would prefer also. It just looks really sweet in the pictures!

Post some real-life photos when you get it. I'm anxious to know how it shoots compared to the stock gun. Actually, in competition, the stock gun would benefit with a few more ounces up front. Some of the guys are putting slide-on compensators on their SW22's to add a little weight.

Staying tuned for updates.

Thanks!

I did like the look of the carbon fiber barrel as well, but there's no way to move the front sights to it.

This barrel does have the forward comp in stock trim, (that I deleted) which I'm sure adds some weight. I've never shot 22 pistols in competition. Is there a reason for them to be nose-heavy?

I did like the look of the carbon fiber barrel as well, but there's no way to move the front sights to it.

This barrel does have the forward comp in stock trim, (that I deleted) which I'm sure adds some weight. I've never shot 22 pistols in competition. Is there a reason for them to be nose-heavy?
The main reason is for recoil control. Now I know recoil is a relative thing, but when you're trying to shoot 6 steel plates inside of 3.5 seconds, anything that will eliminate muzzle rise is a good thing. The muzzle weight forces the recoil (such as it is) rearward, allowing you to keep your line of sight as you move to the next plate or bowling pin, or whatever you're shooting at.

Plus... they look cool! Which is really the most important thing! LOL!

Makes sense... I never really think of recoil in 22s, but I guess at speed that could make a real difference.
Here's a quick video of my daughter shooting plates! You can see the slight barrel rise on each shot if you look closely.

Obviously she's not very happy with the last round! That little smirky head shake tells it all. LOL!

Yeah, you're right, there actually is a little bit of muzzle flip there.

Nice setup you got there. Someday I'll have enough space for my own range...

Back
Top Bottom