GAgunLAWbooklet

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
63   0
Reaction score
E0218B32-0945-429E-A89E-11FA7BD7DA41.jpeg

78F02CFD-DA06-4D86-A822-3BEF6BA025AE.jpeg
2C980F5B-9115-48AF-B168-8993EED8CC6D.jpeg

This Independence Day weekend I got to shoot this recently made Auto-Ordnance THOMPSON 1927 carbine, in .45ACP.

My thoughts:

It's big, long, and HEAVY. 13 lbs.
More than an M1 Garand!
The length of pull of the buttstock is way too long for me, when shooting from any positions other than prone or benchrest.

The stick mags were reliable.
The drum magazine has ALWAYS been unreliable, per the gun's owner. Many jams, failures to feed. But on this particular range trip, we could not get it to lock in place at all. (And yes, we had the magwell adapter).

The sights are good for precise shooting, and the ladder rear sight can be raised high for very long shots. But I'd prefer wider, higher visibility iron sights, optimized for quick snap-shooting at 50 yds.

The trigger is rather heavy and mushy compared to an AR-15 but it is adequate for plinking or close-range combat.

The 18" barrel reduced the noise of shooting 230 gr. FMJ ammo, as compared to how that ammo would sound from a 5" barreled pistol like the M1911.

It's a handsome gun that would look great hanging on your wall, either uncovered or in a velvet-lined glass-front display case or shadowbox.

I've owned a few.
One thing that stood out to me was how accurate it is.
The second one I picked up I was out near Realtor Realtor 's place and stopped by. My first shots were at 100 yards.
Pull the trigger, wait a second *ping* and the same with my follow up shots.

You're right though, the LOP is wild. I'm a big guy with fairly long arms and I can't imagine anyone with smaller arms being comfortable shooting it standing.

Guess that's why they should all have a fun switch and a chopped barrel and fired from the hip 😉

View attachment 5906778

View attachment 5906779View attachment 5906780

This Independence Day weekend I got to shoot this recently made Auto-Ordnance THOMPSON 1927 carbine, in .45ACP.

My thoughts:

It's big, long, and HEAVY. 13 lbs.
More than an M1 Garand!
The length of pull of the buttstock is way too long for me, when shooting from any positions other than prone or benchrest.

The stick mags were reliable.
The drum magazine has ALWAYS been unreliable, per the gun's owner. Many jams, failures to feed. But on this particular range trip, we could not get it to lock in place at all. (And yes, we had the magwell adapter).

The sights are good for precise shooting, and the ladder rear sight can be raised high for very long shots. But I'd prefer wider, higher visibility iron sights, optimized for quick snap-shooting at 50 yds.

The trigger is rather heavy and mushy compared to an AR-15 but it is adequate for plinking or close-range combat.

The 18" barrel reduced the noise of shooting 230 gr. FMJ ammo, as compared to how that ammo would sound from a 5" barreled pistol like the M1911.

It's a handsome gun that would look great hanging on your wall, either uncovered or in a velvet-lined glass-front display case or shadowbox.
before I shot mine I saw the same problem, so I took 2 inches off the stock, much more comfortable, I still need to get the factory piece for the drum remade, it obviously is a pos, and until I get it made I haven’t shot the riffle yet..I’m going to get it done just haven’t done it yet, if someone near the 30157 can r and d me a piece of metal for it sure would help!

Back
Top Bottom