• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Residential water heater needs replaced

Anybody care to guess what just happened? :frusty::frusty::frusty: And it has to be fixed TONIGHT! This is going to be fun.... :censored:

Oh lord. Ours went on Christmas eve 2 years ago and then again two days before Christmas the following year. Going on year two with the current one. I wish the warranty covered all the extra **** you have to buy to install it. Luckily, I have enough experience now that it only takes about an hour to replace one.

Nope, dead serious. I hate to complain... but I will...
images.proboards.com_v5_smiley_wink.png

I had to go to Grand Rapids on a business trip this week (by the way, great city! I'm sure I'd feel differently in January.) I flew out Monday, so Sunday around 2pm I went to go grab a piece of luggage out of the room in it's kept in and stepped in water.
images.proboards.com_v5_smiley_shocked.png
The original 22 year old (Ruud) water heater finally gave up the ghost. Again, hard to complain obviously but the timing was absolutely terrible (I guess it always is). Since it was Sunday I called the Pink Plumber, Aaarons and Home Depot. The Pink Plumber has an $899 install. Well the guy comes out and determines my PRV is shot (again, 2nd one). Says he doesn't have a 40 gallon on his truck but can give me a 50 gallon for the same price. (normally $100 more). I thought, 'good deal' .... so far.... Guess what the final installed priced for a $899 water heater is. Well, it's $1,750 of course! :rolleyes:And the heater they were going to install has TERRIBLE reviews.
They wanted over $400 for the PRV alone! I told him it cost $62 from Home Depot and I could install it in 10 minutes. He just short of shrugged his shoulders. I asked him how much if I purchased all the parts and just let him install them. $1,055! Same price from Aaron's and worse from Home Depot.
Long story short, I called a Cajun plumber (no not me, an actual plumber, Jerome Daugereau of "General Plumbing and Repair") at 6pm and I went and bought my own 50g heater, expansion tank and PRV from HD (for $600 total) and he got it all installed for $500 the same night!
images.proboards.com_v5_smiley_cool.png

Screwed up a lot of plans (and the water damage messed up a few things) but I guess all things considered, it could have been worse.

I just got one done in a rental house-- $960 complete. And that was $100 or so more than it should have been, as it includes multiple trip charges.

I feel yo' pain Geaux. But at least the tenants have hot water again!

All this water heater talk reminds me to go look at mine... it's about 9 years old already.

I feel yo' pain Geaux. But at least the tenants have hot water again!

All this water heater talk reminds me to go look at mine... it's about 9 years old already.
Yep. My 'tenants' were my wife and son who had his first day of school the next morning. Was REALLY glad Jerome helped me out in a big pinch! Having the extra 10 gallons will be nice in the winter too. :) Inside pressure was over 120 psi too so glad the PRV was swapped. Who knows what other problem would have eventually resulted.

Back
Top Bottom