• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Remington 513 assembled & range report.

Wow! Now that's a class act sir! You did that rifle right and can't think of a better way it could have came out, congratulations.

Thanks!!

I will say that getting some of the parts to blue was a b!tch!! It took an hour in the tank to get the small parts and reciever to take color. I think mostly it was due to me using frog lube on the metal to coat everything after I sand blasted it.

Before blueing I cleaned everything with brake cleaner. Then the parts sat in the diacram at 175 degrees for 20+ minutes. Then in the salts for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes no color. I then rinsed the parts and scrubbed them down with the diacram and a brush. Let them soak for another 30 minutes at 175 degrees. Then the second time around they took color.

Apparently frog lube does not break down in degreaser at 175 degrees or 300 degree salt temps. Good stuff I would have to say.

Went and shot the 513 today. Shot 7 different types of ammo. Shot were at 30 yards and targets used were 1/4 inch grid and bullseye. When I put my better scope on I will check out the distance.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 15
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Thanks for taking the time to write this up with the pictures. You have done a very nice job ! Is that a 25 inch barrrel? It seems to be a good shooter also.

Thanks, I enjoyed doing it. Barrel length is 27 1/2, including chamber. 26 is exposed.

As far as groups go, I figure the size are probably considered mediocre by today's standards. But overall the rifle even though put together is over 70 years old lol

It's good that you enjoy that type of thing so it's not like work. Accuracy will improve with another scope and when you find which ammo it likes. I would be proud to own that rifle.

I like the groups the Remington Thunderbolt gave. All things considered it is a 70 year old barrel. By today's standards it's probably not considered a tack driver, but in its day I am sure it was. Either way for me it's a keeper.

Here is my Christmas scope I wanted. BSA 6-18 Sweet 22. I wanted to give one of them a try. Only thing left to now is time the trigger.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 13
Back
Top Bottom