Rant and beating a dead horse!!!

I listed someting for $550, guy sends message saying he can do $450. . . . lol
Then he sends a message saying he is in the business of buying/selling firearms and thats the best he can do
I sent a message asking if he was sure he wasn't in the business of lowballing

This **** happens almost daily, so tired of it!

Next time you get one of those messages, ask for a copy of his FFL and if the ATF would like to know about his budding enterprise.

Been happening more and more the lasy year or so. More & more facecraigers using the sight.Usually when i'm asked "what's your best price" i say , it's listed in the ad.
It will also help if some of you assholes quit telling these facecraigers on facebook groups, "why don't you check out ODT" I'm all for more members but we don't need the facebook/craigslist bunch!
Some of you know who you are!!

********, I couldn't agree more!

I think you as well as tlw1179 make a good point. I think there are more than a few guys who want to sell guns for a living but don't want to pay for a gun shop or even an FFL. Sooner or later that will bite you in the ass one way or another. I've been called a crooked unlicensed used car dealer more than once. But at least when I flip a car it makes a decent to damn good profit. How much profit can there be in flipping guns?

A lot if you're driving them to Chicago or New York.

I listed that Glock 27 for $550 with nearly $250 in extras/ammo
They guy offered $450
Clydes armory has 2 trade in G27 just like mine for $399.99
Either:
A) The guy is full of **** and just wants to lowball you
B) He's an idiot & bad business man

There is one thing I will say: ammo and accessories don't mean a lot to me. Say, if it's a scope. Unless I want it, I'm going to sell it on eBay, so I have to factor in what I'll get minus my fees and shipping. It's usually nowhere close to MSRP or what you might have paid for it new at a store. Ammo doesn't interest me all that much because I usually purchase in bulk and all at the same time, so I'm not paying a lot for it. Granted it sounds like that guy was just trying to resell everything, but I can understand the non-gun extras not bringing a lot in return.

Boxer90, I agree with you on custom jobs. However, ammo is ammo. I usually factor that in on something I am going to buy, because I'm going to have to buy it eventually anyways. I'm not on here to make money. I offer more than fair prices on my stuff. If I get a deal on it, I pass it on to another member. But to be low balled on the value of my item, not happening.

Boxer90, I agree with you on custom jobs. However, ammo is ammo. I usually factor that in on something I am going to buy, because I'm going to have to buy it eventually anyways. I'm not on here to make money. I offer more than fair prices on my stuff. If I get a deal on it, I pass it on to another member. But to be low balled on the value of my item, not happening.
I don't list guns or related items on here to make a profit either. Over the summer I sold a Bersa 380 here for $175.00 and that's what I paid for it. And you know it was a good deal because probably the fourth or fifth comment was an " I'll take it." That's how you can tell a good deal. They're gone quick.
As far as selling guns for a profit well there's not much profit in actual guns . Not for the retailers. The higher margins are in the accessories. But you need to be an actual gun/pawn shop to get the wholesale deals and have the venue to sell them.
So lets say a guy flips a Glock on here and MAYBE puts $100.00 in his pocket. I repeat MAYBE. That's nowhere near enough profit for me to put my name on the 4473:and then flip it to the highest bidder or whoever falls for my high price. One commenter said something about driving them up north to NY or NJ. Yeah there's a pretty high return on your investment there IF you get away with it But if you're willing to cross over into NJ with a suitcase full of Hi Points then I say you should get $750.00 each for them. But its danger pay...

I don't list guns or related items on here to make a profit either. Over the summer I sold a Bersa 380 here for $175.00 and that's what I paid for it. And you know it was a good deal because probably the fourth or fifth comment was an " I'll take it." That's how you can tell a good deal. They're gone quick.
As far as selling guns for a profit well there's not much profit in actual guns . Not for the retailers. The higher margins are in the accessories. But you need to be an actual gun/pawn shop to get the wholesale deals and have the venue to sell them.
So lets say a guy flips a Glock on here and MAYBE puts $100.00 in his pocket. I repeat MAYBE. That's nowhere near enough profit for me to put my name on the 4473:and then flip it to the highest bidder or whoever falls for my high price. One commenter said something about driving them up north to NY or NJ. Yeah there's a pretty high return on your investment there IF you get away with it But if you're willing to cross over into NJ with a suitcase full of Hi Points then I say you should get $750.00 each for them. But its danger pay...
buying to re-sell is just stupid...things i sell here i've owned for 4-22 years or i'm selling something i traded into to get the cash out of it and generally at a pretty good deal...not to make money

The answer is simple.

Overprice your stuff and then you can knock some off the price when people PM you.

You end up getting the price you want for your item, and they are happy because they talked you down some off the original asking price.
I disagree here. I almost always post a price that I truly believe is fair, then I just don't budge. If they want it they can get it, if they want it cheaper, then they don't get it. If it doesn't sell it doesn't sell. Best thing is to just never be in a position of being desperate to sell.

buying to re-sell is just stupid...things i sell here i've owned for 4-22 years or i'm selling something i traded into to get the cash out of it and generally at a pretty good deal...not to make money
I can see the trading part since it gets addictive. But as I said before I don't list guns here to prfit from it. Hell most of them I list here are under priced because I need the cash. No I have listed all kinds of vehicles here before and fully intended to profit from them. But that's two very different things and I always price them less here than I do on other sites.

Back
Top Bottom