Private Sale Stolen Gun

Status
Not open for further replies.

drjustice454

Default rank <400 posts
Survivalist
50   2
Reaction score
Good friend called me last evening from County Jail. Was arrested after traffic stop. Cop checked his gun, an MP 40 he got in a private sale at the Gun Show came back stolen. Charged him with Theft by Possesion of Stolen Property. He has no proof of the sale. What are his options? Made bail but has court date set.

If the gun was stolen then the guy he bought it from had no legal right to sell it and thus the bill of sale has no meaning because he still has no legal right to own/possess the stolen merchandise.

Sucks he is in this position. You mean a BoS from a thief isn't worth anything? Maybe your buddy should have just made one up when he got home (kidding)

My question is why did the LEO run the numbers for/at a traffic stop? My guess is "just because", there was probably no reasonable suspicion/probable cause BUT get a LAWYER.

If the gun was stolen then the guy he bought it from had no legal right to sell it and thus the bill of sale has no meaning because he still has no legal right to own/possess the stolen merchandise.
it shows he bought it unknowingly, a BOS would definatly help as it would turn the heat on the bastard who sold him stolen property

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom