• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Price limits......you fur it or agin it?

Does ODT need some form of price limits

• Mods should delete the gouger ads

Votes: 5 2.4%
  • Members should be able to post comments to say it's overpriced

Votes: 55 26.7%
  • Undecided - don't like over priced ads but it's their stuff

Votes: 9 4.4%
  • It's a free market - I just laugh and move on

Votes: 138 67.0%
  • Hope they get it so I can sell some and cash in too.

Votes: 9 4.4%
  • Just waiting for Taco Tuesday

Votes: 24 11.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Looks like I just got taken...traded into something I thought was equal value, then see it flipped the next day for nearly $100 more. Guess I wasn’t factoring in “pandemic” or election year pricing.

Ironically ODT deleting price gougers would help ammo supplies stay in stores.
It's like how ebay and amazon took action against mask and sanitizer gougers--which discouraged people from buying up all the masks and sanitizer in the market, which creates the shortages flippers rely on.

Akin to how the. 22lr flippers had to keep shelves bare in order to price gouge on the private market.

Yeah, all this talk of free market and supply and demand, is bull****.

I just got back from GA Gun Store in Gainesville. Picked up a BNIB Glock 19 Gen4 with two 50 round boxes of S+B 115gr brass FMJ, for $539 out the door with taxes. BRAND NEW GLOCK, and 100 rounds of 9mm ammo, plus sales tax, for $539.

They had other Glocks in stock for great prices. A Gen 4 G17 for $478. A Sig P229 Redbox, whatever that means, for $478. Looked brand new, if it hadn't been a .40 cal I would have grabbed that too...

Sig P365, black slide and FDE frame, for $509 new. Sig P365 SAS for $569... They had tons of great deals, not really much different pricing than before Covid. All that was down was their selections wasn't what it used to be... But they had a surprising amount, all things considered and none of what I saw was overpriced. Including their ammo! S&B 115gr brass case, $12.96 per box of 50.

These dealers, and frankly the other dealers I have seen with similar prices... aren't selling these guns or ammo at a loss. They have retail leases to pay, electric bills, shipping fees, they have to pay their employees wages and taxes, etc...

If they can sell a new Glock for under $500 with all that overhead and make a profit, then there is no F'ing excuse for some unlicensed dealer(s) on ODT to be selling USED Glocks for $700+.

That is price gouging, as the market hasn't driven the prices up. If they did, then the dealers would be charging more as well. What's going on is in the private sales market, people trying to flip guns and ammo and make a quick buck with customers who may not know any better... and they rely on the "policy" of the smart buyers not being able to call them our or post in their threads that they are ripping people off. The people arguing against the "price whiners", have a vested interest in keeping this crap going. They are profiting from their ODT brothers, by taking advantage of the situation, and using the rules to try and keep it quiet what they are doing.

And this point is not based on one dealer. It's not just the place in Gainesville... its DG&P, Alexander's, Five Star Pawn, Freedom Mill, etc... None of them are charging prices for new that even get in the ballpark of what the gougers here are asking...

Looks like I just got taken...traded into something I thought was equal value, then see it flipped the next day for nearly $100 more. Guess I wasn’t factoring in “pandemic” or election year pricing.

Happened to me too. I listed a revolver at pre-covid prices, he asked for a discount, and then within 3 hours of buying it at $25 less than my asking price, had it listed on ArmsList for $140 more than my asking price...

So lets say you are watching Antiques Road Show and you see a Little Brass Statue on there and you realize you have one of those.
So you wait for them to say what it would sell for (because you paid 5.00 at a yard sale 2 years ago for yours).
They say it will sell at auction for 1k-1.5k and you can not get to the phone quick enough to sell this item you paid 5.00 for.
Where is the difference here.
I have an item that i paid .28 for and I want to ask 1.00 a piece for them and I get that price and you sold an item for 1.2 k that you paid 5.00 for.
No difference in the act of selling something you paid .28 cents for or 5.00 for.
I currently have items i paid 650.00 for in the 80's and they are now worth 40k and 35k each and I will not sell them for less than what the market will bare.
Does that make me a Gouger, Hell no it does not.
Oh another note I have Stocks that i paid 24.00 a Share back in the 80's and now they are worth a bunch so What you are saying is that i should not sell them for the current market, Yea Right as you would sell the stock for the current market price.
I can keep going with analogy after analogy just to prove any of you are a Capitalist at hart.
If the price is to high for you just do not buy it and move on.

So lets say you are watching Antiques Road Show and you see a Little Brass Statue on there and you realize you have one of those.
So you wait for them to say what it would sell for (because you paid 5.00 at a yard sale 2 years ago for yours).
They say it will sell at auction for 1k-1.5k and you can not get to the phone quick enough to sell this item you paid 5.00 for.
Where is the difference here.
I have an item that i paid .28 for and I want to ask 1.00 a piece for them and I get that price and you sold an item for 1.2 k that you paid 5.00 for.
No difference in the act of selling something you paid .28 cents for or 5.00 for.
I currently have items i paid 650.00 for in the 80's and they are now worth 40k and 35k each and I will not sell them for less than what the market will bare.
Does that make me a Gouger, Hell no it does not.
Oh another note I have Stocks that i paid 24.00 a Share back in the 80's and now they are worth a bunch so What you are saying is that i should not sell them for the current market, Yea Right as you would sell the stock for the current market price.
I can keep going with analogy after analogy just to prove any of you are a Capitalist at hart.
If the price is to high for you just do not buy it and move on.

Define "the market". The actual market, prices on guns are actually pretty normal. Ammo has gone up with some retailers gouging, while others do not.

Do you think that the half dozen dealers I just mentioned, are selling guns at a loss, just to be nice people? Just to help a brother out? They will run the risk of closing their doors, for me to get a good deal? Really?

This isn't a case of some rare trinket you stumbled on at a garage sale that some collector is willing to pay major bucks for. These are common, everyday items, that currently, outnumber the amount of people that we have living in the US today, including all the illegals. Likely by a factor of 2.

We aren't talking about inflation or something that goes up in value that you bought in 1980, and over 40 years it became a collector's item and went up in price. We aren't talking about real estate.

We are talking about guns. Current production guns that you can walk into a store today and pay normal prices for, but the guys here that like a side job... an extra revenue stream but don't want to pay to become an FFL... they buy and flip guns here for profit, and they rely on "the rules" keeping them out of trouble or from being exposed as scalpers, essentially.

All of your irrelevant, flawed analogies don't change a thing. Apples and water buffalos...

And again, it's clear who the price gougers and scalpers are, by the mental gymnastics that they go through to try and justify what they do. Just stop.

It's not that I even care that you are gouging ODT members or flipping guns... It's that you won't at least sack up and admit it. It's the dishonesty, and the attempt to paint anyone who points out the obvious, like they are the problem and not you.

Yeah, it's a free country, if you find someone dumb or desperate enough to pay $900 for a used Glock, go for it. But to pretend that what you are doing isn't price gouging, is bull**** and you know it. It's just in your financial interests to keep pretending that it's somehow what the free market is about. It's why you don't want anyone to be able to post in your listings, when you are ripping people off.

Man up and own it.

I just did a search for Glock 19's on ODT... They are all in the $750-$850 range, for used guns. I saw one for $625 but that was the cheapest. Someone else wants to trade his for 3,000 rounds of .223 ammo... Why? Because they see other people doing it and figure that's what they are worth now, and because we can't post in those threads, they get away with it. When nobody contradicts you or is able to point out the truth, then the lie is accepted as being "uncontested" and it becomes the new truth.

Meanwhile, dealers are selling them new for less than $500.

So please don't mistake what goes on here, as "the market"... because it just isn't.

Back
Top Bottom