• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Prepping

my wife is an ICU nurse who spent a lot of time in ER, she thinks tampons are about the best you can get for stopping blood
Tampons and pads aren't designed to stop blood, they're designed to absorb blood, specifically by drawing it away from the vaginal walls. Some even have anti-clotting agents in them to make them more effective.
I was always taught that you want to produce clotting to stop bleeding, not prevent clotting.
I agree that in an emergency you use whatever you can find, but recommending those products when gauze & cotton bandages are available doesn't make sense.

Tampons and pads aren't designed to stop blood, they're designed to absorb blood, specifically by drawing it away from the vaginal walls. Some even have anti-clotting agents in them to make them more effective.
I was always taught that you want to produce clotting to stop bleeding, not prevent clotting.
I agree that in an emergency you use whatever you can find, but recommending those products when gauze & cotton bandages are available doesn't make sense.

I agree with you, but there may be a misunderstanding. I'm not saying that maxi pads are good for "stopping" blood, nor is gauze in that capacity...that's where the tourniquet and/or quickclot comes in for serious wounds; more minor wounds can be treated with pressure. Tampons can stop bleeding if it's a GSW; they can and will (in most cases) plug the hole...pun intended. Shot with a 9mm for example, one tampon with duct tape can stop the bleeding. I use maxi pads mainly to soak up blood while the other agents work to stop the bleeding.

Keep in mind, I'm mostly referring to GSW's specifically with my comments in this thread...

I agree with you, but there may be a misunderstanding. I'm not saying that maxi pads are good for "stopping" blood, nor is gauze in that capacity...that's where the tourniquet and/or quickclot comes in for serious wounds; more minor wounds can be treated with pressure. Tampons can stop bleeding if it's a GSW; they can and will (in most cases) plug the hole...pun intended. Shot with a 9mm for example, one tampon with duct tape can stop the bleeding. I use maxi pads mainly to soak up blood while the other agents work to stop the bleeding.

Keep in mind, I'm mostly referring to GSW's specifically with my comments in this thread...

Get 'em!! Hahaha.

Get 'em!! Hahaha.

:fencing:

Nice thing about first aid, especially tactical first aid and gsw's, is that there's a million different ways to solve a problem. He has good points and none of them are wrong, we were probably just trained differently...at the end of the day, if you help save someone's life, no one will care if you use a dirty sock, a tampon, or gauze, like the other feller, yep I said feller lol, said was if I have to use a grease rag, go ahead. I think it's awesome that you're even exploring the idea of first aid! We can all put holes in things, but patching them up is a different animal.

I agree with you, but there may be a misunderstanding. I'm not saying that maxi pads are good for "stopping" blood, nor is gauze in that capacity...that's where the tourniquet and/or quickclot comes in for serious wounds; more minor wounds can be treated with pressure. Tampons can stop bleeding if it's a GSW; they can and will (in most cases) plug the hole...pun intended. Shot with a 9mm for example, one tampon with duct tape can stop the bleeding. I use maxi pads mainly to soak up blood while the other agents work to stop the bleeding..
And just think of how fresh and clean you'll feel! :eyebrows: feller

While you guys are going to be sitting around arguing about what to stick in your GSW, I'm going to go grab a sailboat and go fish and sail until you are all gone.

Propane stove, fishing pole, lots of lures, spear gun.

All I need to worry about is a sunburn. And making sure my guns dont rust.

While you guys are going to be sitting around arguing about what to stick in your GSW, I'm going to go grab a sailboat and go fish and sail until you are all gone.

Propane stove, fishing pole, lots of lures, spear gun.

All I need to worry about is a sunburn. And making sure my guns dont rust.

Have fun playing with your pole! :dance:

Back
Top Bottom