• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Prepping

This may have been said, I'm not sure. But maybe take a medical class and learn to use certain medical supplies. Stocking up is good, but only goes so far if you don't know how to put it to use.

I personally wouldn't put too much equity into advanced medical supplies (think surgical type stuff). Basic first aid like stitching and controlling bleeding and learn to control and treat infections. I feel it's a bit pointless to stock up on stuff for surgical procedures. Without proper training, like ya know...med school :p it's not very helpful and may just make someone worse off in a bad situation.

Agreed! You can spend money on crap you don't understand how to use, or you can take a class or get advanced training, then build your kit. My main point all along is that you can build a very quality and highly useful kit out of very cheap, easily available items.

I am just starting out and got basics but I am ready to do more. I need a beginner prepper checklist, lol. Or just some advise on what is necessity versus just fun.
Maybe you could edit your first post with a numerated list of things that have been suggested. You will be able to add to it by editing it further and be able to consolidate things.

I saw that you had asked about meds and first aid. A lot of prepper types store pet meds that and fish meds. A simple cut can kill you by infection if you don't have antibiotics.
You can get tubes of triple biotic ointment at Dollar Tree for a buck

The ones I have (and need to check the dates on) don't have the clotting agent, they are more of a compression bandage, 6 inches wide and maybe 5 feet long so it can be used as an expedient tourniquet.
I also keep some kerlix and a couple of the olaes bandages (the ones with the built-in pressure cup).
I don't have any advanced training, so like someone else posted I keep it simple and at my level.
Couldn't get the link to post but ITS Tactical has a good write up on the Israeli Bandage.

I do like the kerlix! Yes, you should always keep your kit at your level. No sense on having stuff you don't know how to use. For example, you don't have any business performing a tracheotomy if you don't have the training. STOP THE BLEEDING!!! First and foremost! Actually, protect yourself from pathogens first, i.e. goggles, gloves, face mask, apron, and then....stop the bleeding......won't help you much if you end up getting some crap from the person you are trying to help.....just saying...

I think an in depth study of how people lived in the 1800s is a good start. Books are GOOD. If the internet goes down they will become the best source of info
Books are absolutely good, but a good library would be a logistic nightmare, major poundage. After the earthquake in Haiti, we still had capabilities to charge our phones. (the wireless system was off the infrastructural power grid) But being able to charge your phone meant being able to also charge iPads, laptops, Kindles, and the like. To use a Trumpism, I have a huuuuge amount of books on my Kindle. Just a thought.

Since this turned into a med kit survival thread, here's my main carry kit I keep in my car. Any advice? Oh, and @Radar363 .... I've also got "gauze" in my kit LOL :fencing::lol:

IMG_7176.JPG
IMG_7181.JPG
IMG_7179.JPG

Back
Top Bottom