• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Prepping

For serious blood loss I would hope you would use a tourniquet! Other than that why would you not use a sterile product that's cheap, super easy to find, and designed to soak up blood? Tampons fit great into bullet holes too! I know from experience; even if you have to use 2. Grab you a maxi pad/tampon, dump some quick clot on that wound, and duct tape the hell out of it!
Because there not all sterile and gauze is more effective.

They're sterile if you use new ones and not used ones :doh:. I actually have both in my kit with medical tape and duct tape.
There was a recall not long ago because some products made in Mexico are produced at a plant that had little quality control. Just because it's in a wrapper doesn't guarantee sterility.

There was a recall not long ago because some products made in Mexico are produced at a plant that had little quality control. Just because it's in a wrapper doesn't guarantee sterility.

I guess I could agree with that. However, when saving someone's life from a trauma injury, I'm more worried about stopping blood loss than anything else and this includes sterilization...they have antibiotic drips at the hospital for that....once the bloods gone, there's not much more you can do; you can treat an infection.

I guess I could agree with that. However, when saving someone's life from a trauma injury, I'm more worried about stopping blood loss than anything else and this includes sterilization...they have antibiotic drips at the hospital for that....once the bloods gone, there's not much more you can do; you can treat an infection.
No doubt. You can use a grease rag on me if I'm bleeding out. I'll deal with the infection later.

For prepping you must start somewhere. A start is food, water, heat and shelter for 6 weeks. The food must be something you normally eat, and requires no refrigeration for storage and is easy to prepare.

Heat in the summer? No, that is for cold weather. Living without AC won't kill you, living without heat in winter can kill you.

What can you do for long term potable water? Lots of options, find one that works for you.

Safety is important, firearm is a basic survival tool.

First aid supplies and knowledge how to use them. I rely on the combat first aid I learned years ago, and have augmented it with sports trainer skills. The vast majority of what I anticipate as far as first aid is more in line with moderate to severe sports injuries, with some dehydration and diarrhea thrown in to complicate things. Simple but effective field treatments for these are doable for not a lot of money.

Once you are set for 6 weeks, aim for 6 months. Once there, extend further as you are able.

No one can last by themselves, becoming a group with a dozen or more like minded close neighbors is a good objective.

And.. tell NO ONE about your preps, unless they are contributing members of your "group".

Back
Top Bottom