• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Opinions Needed - Prepper Business

hondoptc

Default rank <300 posts
Tracker
24   0
Reaction score
I have been “prepping” for the past 5 years or so and it’s grown from a hobby to a passion. I have been thinking about opening a store to serve the preparedness community. At first I’d like to be 100% on-line expanding to a brick and mortor store in Florida (hurricane country). My question are these:
- What items would you like to see (pre-made bags, specialized gear, etc.)?
- What services would our community be willing to support (classes, private networking, etc.)?
- What would be desireable over other stores similar to this business model?
- Any thoughts if this is even a worthy endeavor?

Thanks in advance,
Hondo

I'd offer a solid online footprint to help and offer free shipping with a certain amount spent. Find a niche service that will bring customers into the store other than survival classes. Firearms would be a big help, along with free or very cheap FFL transfer's, like $5-10.

Maybe offer ATV's like the Roxor or hunting/fishing gear as well. Might be tough focusing on just survival products and make a good margin to live off of.

Definitely set up a Youtube channel to showcase things or teach that way. Should be a decent income if you get a following and should help supplement the business. But I think anything with firearms might ruin ad revenue through Youtube.

Good input Tikker. I like the discounted or free FFL transfer idea to drive traffic.

My thought is to focus on e-commerce initially to try to generate enough cash flow to support or offset the cost of a storefront.

I will probably tailor a lot of my brick and mortar offerings around hurricane prep being that the business will be located on the coast of South FL. Generators, water purification and home prep are popular especially during hurricane season.

Advertising is a must. Any type of freebies will earn respect from customers and a potential data base.

I agree with the online selling. But you will have to spend come coin to get the name out their.

A brick and mortar store will be a huge expensive endeavor, finding a high traffic area is a plus.

I will probably tailor a lot of my brick and mortar offerings around hurricane prep being that the business will be located on the coast of South FL. Generators, water purification and home prep are popular especially during hurricane season.

Take it from me as I lived in South Florida in Naples/Bonita Springs for over 20 years, hurricane preparation isn't that big of a business to count on. The best items during a hurricane is bottled water, food, plywood, & maybe board games as it can get boring after awhile if the power goes out. It's not even an event that happens every year so business would suffer if your expecting it to happen each year. It's more of a once in every 3-5 years depending on your bad luck.

Even sandbags are offered for free by the county along with the sand to fortify your house. The majority of homes are all concrete block construction & can handle the storms just fine if they have good roofs. The area's that are affected that you see in the news are old time homes that are already falling apart or trailer parks & they usually can't afford hurricane protection.

A storm shutter business might work well, lots of new construction & it offers security for the vacation homes that are empty.

Thanks for the input guys! I’ll keep researching and pay a visit to Truprep to check it out. I’m sure there is something I “need” anyway. Haha

Take it from me as I lived in South Florida in Naples/Bonita Springs for over 20 years, hurricane preparation isn't that big of a business to count on. The best items during a hurricane is bottled water, food, plywood, & maybe board games as it can get boring after awhile if the power goes out. It's not even an event that happens every year so business would suffer if your expecting it to happen each year. It's more of a once in every 3-5 years depending on your bad luck.

^ I agree. Born and raised on the east coast of Florida(spent over 40 years there) I honestly don't see you getting a lot of "prepper" type business from the hurricane prep crowd. Most people just grab some basics from the grocery store and home depot and they are set. That and a lot of beer to get you through the storm Lol.

Back
Top Bottom