• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

In doubt of 9mm being best for prepping

Bullets vs. Buicks

I too had this idea, but after spending a ton of money to get a pump 357, couple 357s and snubby 38s. I realized how much heavier the ammo was. I quickly came back to my senses and found a pcc 9mm . Now I'm carrying 9mm and 556 like everyone else.

Exactly this^ 30 rounds of 556 and 18 rounds of 9mm in the palm of my hand ready to go. It's 2023 and we ain't cowboys.

View attachment 5180532

Of course yes, 357 is a capable cartridge and can handle many situations. But your potential enemies are most likely going to be armed with high capacity 556 rifles and 9mm handguns because like or not that is the most effective tactics available and you will be outgunned Carrying a cowboy load out from the wild west.
Where did that Village People, post San Francisco magazine from? It's a little to raimbow if you know what I mean.

If you want to cull down your moving gear wouldn't you want a cartridge that both a handgun and a rifle could use. The old cowboys and drifters were on to something. Their pistols and rifles often used the same round. So to keep from having to have 9mm and 5.56, why wouldn't you use something like a 357 be choosen for ability to use 38++p hollow points ect.? Or something like that.
Iz gotz a MP5 and a glock 19 Im good.

If you want to cull down your moving gear wouldn't you want a cartridge that both a handgun and a rifle could use. The old cowboys and drifters were on to something. Their pistols and rifles often used the same round. So to keep from having to have 9mm and 5.56, why wouldn't you use something like a 357 be choosen for ability to use 38++p hollow points ect.? Or something like that.

It's a reasonable idea, but the problem with standardizing on a rimmed cartridge, your handgun is going to be limted to a revolver, unless you want to go to something obscure like a Coonan (no longer in production) or a Desert Eagle, or maybe a Smith & Wesson 52 (which would be defending yourself *in style*).

That's why you're seeing people talking about (primarily) 9mm, 40S&W and .45 ACP

To tell you the truth like I said before I was bored and just mulling over ideas in my head. Then a stroke or brilliance came over me. That thought was " What is the best way to get 3/4's of the member ship up in arms and fighting mad? ". I know cast doubt on the 9mm and let the games begin. LOL As God as my witness it was the only reason for creating this thread. IT WORKED!

9mm and 5.56 are most common, thus easier to "find" if need be. Running just one caliber has it's drawbacks and benefits.

Think about this. What if one of your guns goes down? Broken part, squib load, or some other reason? Well, what are you going to do with that ammo if your other gun is a different caliber?

On the flip side, you'd probably want something that has range. I'd rather have 1000 rounds of 9mm, than 20 rounds of 40, 20 of 9mm, 20 of .357, etc. At EOTD, it's up to you.

Screenshot_20230221-011808.png

Back
Top Bottom