Oil pressure on my Sierra...

My 2003 Trailblazer did the exact same thing. I found out a way to reset it to 0 and it's been working good ever since. Just tried to find the directions on line but not having any luck. It's done about the same way as reseting the oil change light but with a different sequence. If I find it, I'll pass it on.

Having to drive my 03 Sierra with a 4.8L V8 until my STI gets out of the body shop.

I am a super duper gauge nazi. I constantly monitor my gauges out of habit to catch any possible failures before it would destroy my motor.

Well, coming home today I was watching my oil pressure continue to climb and climb. The Gauge finally pegged out at 80psi.

I stopped, popped the hood and looked/listened for anything wrong. Pulled the dip stick out to see if any would blow out or if smoke would be present. All appeared ok and sounded fine.

I think my sending unit is bad as I killed the engine and the gauge settled on 50psi with zero power to the cluster.

Its either that or the cluster stepper motor for that specific gauge.

Suppose I will start with the sending unit as re-soldering in a new stepper motor is not something I have time for right now (remove cluster, separate cluster casing. mark needle for zero at no power, etc...blah blah blah.

Anyone else have this happen? I know entire cluster failures are VERY common on these trucks, but I think the sending unit has to be the issue as the gauge still moves when powered and wiggles some with ranging RPM's.
notorious for the sender and gauge to go bad...sender first..then gauge

Back
Top Bottom