Oil pressure on my Sierra...

Wallace's

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
97   0
Reaction score
Having to drive my 03 Sierra with a 4.8L V8 until my STI gets out of the body shop.

I am a super duper gauge nazi. I constantly monitor my gauges out of habit to catch any possible failures before it would destroy my motor.

Well, coming home today I was watching my oil pressure continue to climb and climb. The Gauge finally pegged out at 80psi.

I stopped, popped the hood and looked/listened for anything wrong. Pulled the dip stick out to see if any would blow out or if smoke would be present. All appeared ok and sounded fine.

I think my sending unit is bad as I killed the engine and the gauge settled on 50psi with zero power to the cluster.

Its either that or the cluster stepper motor for that specific gauge.

Suppose I will start with the sending unit as re-soldering in a new stepper motor is not something I have time for right now (remove cluster, separate cluster casing. mark needle for zero at no power, etc...blah blah blah.

Anyone else have this happen? I know entire cluster failures are VERY common on these trucks, but I think the sending unit has to be the issue as the gauge still moves when powered and wiggles some with ranging RPM's.

Yep. I had an 03 silverado 2500 with the 6.0 motor. At 95000 miles , every gauge on it started acting crazy. Chevy dealer said the instrument cluster was bad. About $650 just for the cluster not including installation. Wound up trading it in on a Dodge. Been a Dodge fan ever since.

Sending unit. Wife's Denali did the same thing. $50 fix.

Yeah, thats what I am really thinking.

Normally if the stepper motor goes, the whole cluster goes....

Hopefully will have it back going this weekend. I get this huge anxiety not having my engines life support monitoring...lol

Yep. I had an 03 silverado 2500 with the 6.0 motor. At 95000 miles , every gauge on it started acting crazy. Chevy dealer said the instrument cluster was bad. About $650 just for the cluster not including installation. Wound up trading it in on a Dodge. Been a Dodge fan ever since.

Dang, with only 95K??

You can fix the clusters for super cheap if you have patience and a descent soldering set.

I am banking on the sending unit for this fix.

Yep. That was in 2007. Think there was a recall or service bulletin on it but it was only good to like 90000 miles if I remember right. Called GM headquarters about and got a bunch of run around for about 2 weeks so I just traded it off. Thought I needed a 1 ton diesel at the time. Lol

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom