• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

[Official] How has CoronaVirus affected your job?

How has COVID19 affected you or your spouse?

• I lost my job/contract

Votes: 6 3.5%
  • My spouse/partner lost their job

Votes: 5 2.9%
  • I have been furloughed

Votes: 9 5.3%
  • I have received a salary/pay cut

Votes: 14 8.2%
  • Not much changed for me

Votes: 84 49.4%
  • I am actually doing better now

Votes: 20 11.8%
  • I am working from home for now..

Votes: 32 18.8%

• Total voters
I work IT for a large energy company here, and we're busier than ever trying to support roughly 13,000 remote users. Sending basically half the workforce home to work was a huge project that sucked up weeks of effort and cost a fair amount of money.

The company is pretty traditional, and was kind of a sticker for working in the office so this was like a 10x expansion of our remote capabilities. It'll be interesting to see how the evaluate that expensive office space when all is said and done.

Like was said in the real estate thread, I think commercial will be down in the dumps for a while, especially when companies can realize huge savings (~$2000/month per employee if I remember the numbers) by having folks work from home.

We put in at least $2 million of new equipment (not even sure what the licenses increases were) to support remote users, and the company will want to take advantage of that infrastructure investment. The easiest way to do that will be to move more employees into remote workplaces, even though the old-school managers there will hate the idea.

I work IT for a large energy company here, and we're busier than ever trying to support roughly 13,000 remote users. Sending basically half the workforce home to work was a huge project that sucked up weeks of effort and cost a fair amount of money.

The company is pretty traditional, and was kind of a sticker for working in the office so this was like a 10x expansion of our remote capabilities. It'll be interesting to see how the evaluate that expensive office space when all is said and done.

Like was said in the real estate thread, I think commercial will be down in the dumps for a while, especially when companies can realize huge savings (~$2000/month per employee if I remember the numbers) by having folks work from home.

We put in at least $2 million of new equipment (not even sure what the licenses increases were) to support remote users, and the company will want to take advantage of that infrastructure investment. The easiest way to do that will be to move more employees into remote workplaces, even though the old-school managers there will hate the idea.
I was/am hoping the exact same thing. I'm not sure what percentage of the U.S. workforce could effectively work from home but it's obviously many many multiples of what currently is. It would solve countless other problems (like public infrastructure, air quality in Atlanta for example) as well obviously. I really HOPE this is one of the good things to come out of this cluster but I'm skeptical. Very skeptical.

I was/am hoping the exact same thing. I'm not sure what percentage of the U.S. workforce could effectively work from home but it's obviously many many multiples of what currently is. It would solve countless other problems (like public infrastructure, air quality in Atlanta for example) as well obviously. I really HOPE this is one of the good things to come out of this cluster but I'm skeptical. Very skeptical.

Good point. I think it's against the management culture of many companies where traditionally someone is standing there at start time wanting to see everyone on time, clean shaven, and appropriately dressed. This is forcing some companies that have been very resistant to allowing work from home options.

Also, if telecommuting becomes more accepted, there will be less need to be extremely close to the office. I can see scenarios where more people will want to move to small town and rural areas, especially as connectivity improves with technology for people like me who are out in the sticks. Help relieve congestion in cities and help workers make their pay go further with the lower cost of living.

Back
Top Bottom