• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

OA requested to see NFA stamp

I am not he...but it sounds like you have 1,999 people who don't mind having their rights further infringed. You seem like a reasonable enough guy and I really don't want to get everyone wrapped up in a tizzy about this, but come on...."I'm just doing my job?" That's the response we get?

Again, you're just doing your job...and I get that. But it doesn't bother you that you are subjecting members of your club to an extra (some might even say punitive) layer of scrutiny?

No it doesn't seem punitive to me and I certainly hope it doesn't come off that way to anyone I speak with.
Of course my situation is somewhat different in that we're a club and not a business.
I shoot along side them all.

They know me, they know I'm just trying to keep the club open by keeping everyone safe.
We're always just one round away from having to close, that would be a shame and I hope it never happens on my watch.

At the same time I know what you're saying and I know what you're protecting.
I'm the same guy that sat on the side of the road while they got the dog to check my truck because I wouldn't surrender my rights. I had nothing to hide and still I said no.

And again it all has to do with being reasonable. Is it reasonable for a business owner to ask a patron if he has the paperwork he's supposed to be carrying for the firearm he wants to shoot there. Opinions are going to differ. If they guy says yes, is that good enough? It usually is for me. Lots of time when I'm walking a range someone will wave a card or paper at me. I give them a thumbs up and continue on.

If are a member to of a club that has signed and acknowledged specific rules that different but thats not the experience of the OP with this particular range and I know of the other couple of ranges I've gone to on this side of town you don't have to sign a waiver or acknowledgement of any of the range rules.
I'd also like to know if his club has in its membership information something that explicitly states the policies concerning weapons governed by the NFA. If it does, that's one thing...but if it doesn't...

They know me, they know I'm just trying to keep the club open by keeping everyone safe.
We're always just one round away from having to close, that would be a shame and I hope it never happens on my watch.
But there's nothing "unsafe" about having a club member with an illegal NFA weapon...at least as far as your club keeping the lights on. Let's say that you don't have that policy and I come in with an illegal SBR. Mr. ATF comes in and snatches me, but your club is in zero legal hot water. It is not, nor should it ever be a private business' place to police federal firearms law...you're not making anyone "safer" by doing so.

At the same time I know what you're saying and I know what you're protecting.
I'm the same guy that sat on the side of the road while they got the dog to check my truck because I wouldn't surrender my rights. I had nothing to hide and still I said no.
Good for you....I guess I just don't see how you don't see the situation as hypocritical. You sat on the side of the road because you had nothing to hide because of the principal, but you're willing to toss a guy out of your club for having the same convictions?

And again it all has to do with being reasonable. Is it reasonable for a business owner to ask a patron if he has the paperwork he's supposed to be carrying for the firearm he wants to shoot there. Opinions are going to differ. If they guy says yes, is that good enough? It usually is for me. Lots of time when I'm walking a range someone will wave a card or paper at me. I give them a thumbs up and continue on.
The only thing reasonable about this scenario would be for one to assume everyone was legal unless they had reasonable suspicion to the contrary...and possession of an NFA is not cause for that suspicion.

So far any of the local ranges I have used have not even batted an eye and any of the NFA items I have brought there....they are....

Norcross Gun Club and Range
Johns' Creek Gun Range
Georgia Gun Club

All GTG for NFA - no questions asked and no hassles from the RO.

I certainly don't see any RO asking for GWL from those carrying concealed weapons while at the range. Wouldn't that essentially be the same thing? Just checking to see that they aren't concealing the weapon illegally.

I certainly don't see any RO asking for GWL from those carrying concealed weapons while at the range. Wouldn't that essentially be the same thing? Just checking to see that they aren't concealing the weapon illegally.

Glad you posted this. Because I was thinking the same thing.

AO's range owns your spent shell casing don't they?

Yeah, I'll never darken that range.

Hey biker_bill biker_bill , what's your range's rules on pistol braces? If you saw someone shoulder one (which would magically turn a pistol into an SBR) would you ask them for their paperwork or ask them to leave? Would you call the ATF if they didn't have paperwork or admitted it was a pistol?

Back
Top Bottom