• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

No Carry Permit

This question always brings up a hearty discussion... I moved to GA four years ago from a state that is very 2A friendly (no site like ODT though), and did many deals where BOS's were extremely common... almost a given. Since moving to GA, I think I've been involved in two BOS transactions, and both in the last few weeks (not at my request). I generally post a disclaimer on my ads that "if you contact me you certify that you're legal to possess and own..." yada yada yada. I didn't do that until I saw several others here with something similar on theirs. I also put that I'd like a peek at the buyer's DL or WCL, but honestly, can't recall ever asking to see it once we actually met. Usually involved in too good of a conversation with a new gun-loving ODT brother (have yet to meet an ODT sister). I've been mildly surprised when someone takes their WCL out to show me, because by that point in the conversation, things are usually moving right along, no red flags, and wasn't going to even ask.

I may have to rethink it though, because it seems like there are plenty of people here that won't even initiate a potential deal with posters who even hint that they'd like to see anything. I agree that the law doesn't require, and you can't KNOWINGLY sell to an illegal or out-of-stater if you don't ask. I guess I always figured that putting those things in there would deter the shady from even starting the process, and I've never driven out to a meet with someone who I even had a remote feeling may be a bad apple. I have definitely called off deals due to my spidey-sense, but never in person. I like to think that we chat enough on PM/text/phone beforehand and I do my due diligence to have a good enough sense that if we agree to meet, the deal will go through unless there's some glaring issue with the item(s).

A week ago I sold a revolver to a guy that wanted a BOS. I told him the only info I would provide was what he already had. My name, phone number and county. I am not comfortable giving my address to strangers even though it could probably take 5 minutes to find online. If a guy is wanting to cover his own butt with a BOS then I would guess he's probably ok. Its a piece of paper that gives peace of mind to some and takes less than a minute to sign. Same with a CCP. For the most part I'd rather just flash a CCP than sign a paper. Either isnt going to throw me off a good deal or selling something I want to move. I would rather see a CCP than a POS since GA did the history and shows they are a GA resident. Just for my own comfort zone. BUT ive sold without either as well.

Would you sell to a person without a carry permit? Explain why or why not. Thanks
Of course. Why? Because I'm not in the habit in of creating absolutely meaningless feel good requirements. If you want to require a person show you their unconstitutional permission slip to exercise their Constitutional right, then have a big time. Same with a BOS. I keep clicking when I see those ads.

The only requirement I have is they not be an admitted liberal. I won't facilitate someone who votes against the 2A exercising their 2A rights. That would be stupid and defeatist.

Would you sell to a person without a carry permit? Explain why or why not. Thanks
No.

Because, Since the federal background check requirement was adopted in 1994, over two million prohibited persons have been denied a firearm transfer or permit through the FBI’s background check system.

Yes. It's not required by law to own or possess a firearm. One of the great strengths of the Second amendment is that the rights is for the people, and not granted by the government. A license is granted, and I don't recognize that as a requirement.

No.

Because, Since the federal background check requirement was adopted in 1994, over two million prohibited persons have been denied a firearm transfer or permit through the FBI’s background check system.

Was that "2 million" people CORRECTLY denied a gun sale because they REALLY WERE prohibited persons...

...or 2 million denied sales, of which about 80% for "false positive" mistakes that wrongly blocked the sale to a person who was actually qualified and hadn't lost his gun rights?

Of course. Why? Because I'm not in the habit in of creating absolutely meaningless feel good requirements. If you want to require a person show you their unconstitutional permission slip to exercise their Constitutional right, then have a big time. Same with a BOS. I keep clicking when I see those ads.

The only requirement I have is they not be an admitted liberal. I won't facilitate someone who votes against the 2A exercising their 2A rights. That would be stupid and defeatist.

If the federal government tattooed "convicted molester" on criminals foreheads, even though they served their sentence, I wouldn't sell to them on principle. Don't care what rights a criminal has since they have ignored the rights of another person. Same for armed robbery, rape, murder... They have destroyed another's life and IMHO given up their rights for a "normal" life. That's one reason why most criminals don't care because the system sucks.

If the federal government tattooed "convicted molester" on criminals foreheads, even though they served their sentence, I wouldn't sell to them on principle. Don't care what rights a criminal has since they have ignored the rights of another person. Same for armed robbery, rape, murder... They have destroyed another's life and IMHO given up their rights for a "normal" life. That's one reason why most criminals don't care because the system sucks.
Like I said, I won't sell to liberals. So I cover those groups.

A week ago I sold a revolver to a guy that wanted a BOS. I told him the only info I would provide was what he already had. My name, phone number and county. I am not comfortable giving my address to strangers even though it could probably take 5 minutes to find online. If a guy is wanting to cover his own butt with a BOS then I would guess he's probably ok. Its a piece of paper that gives peace of mind to some and takes less than a minute to sign. Same with a CCP. For the most part I'd rather just flash a CCP than sign a paper. Either isnt going to throw me off a good deal or selling something I want to move. I would rather see a CCP than a POS since GA did the history and shows they are a GA resident. Just for my own comfort zone. BUT ive sold without either as well.

If I'm selling and the buyer wants a bos we will go to the lgs of my choice and fill out a 4473 on the buyers dime. No point in doing it half assed.
If I'm dealing with a new member or a baby face I may ask to see a Ga ID. There have been a lot of sketchy noobs the past couple years.

Back
Top Bottom