• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

No Carry Permit

Google Unalienable and it defaults to inalienable. The two words mean the same thing but unalienable is a defunct form of the word that hasn't been used since around 1830. The English language evolves. No one other than Barack Obama has used the word unalienable since the 19th century.

Google Unalienable and it defaults to inalienable. The two words mean the same thing but unalienable is a defunct form of the word that hasn't been used since around 1830. The English language evolves. No one other than Barack Obama has used the word unalienable since the 19th century.
Alien, "alienable," "inalienable" - it's easy enough to see the Latin word alius, meaning "other," at the root of these three words. "Alien" joined our language in the 14th century, and one of its earliest meanings was "belonging to another." By the early 1600s that sense of "alien" had led to the development of "alienable," an adjective describing something you could give away or transfer ownership of, and "unalienable," its opposite. By about 1645, "inalienable" was also in use as a synonym of "unalienable." "Inalienable" is the more common variant today, but it was "unalienable" that was used in the Declaration of Independence to describe rights like life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.
So while your proclamation that it is not a word is at best splitting hairs. My definition is correct as is the use of the word in the original form.
Transgender is a word now too. Doesn't change the DNA.

Alien, "alienable," "inalienable" - it's easy enough to see the Latin word alius, meaning "other," at the root of these three words. "Alien" joined our language in the 14th century, and one of its earliest meanings was "belonging to another." By the early 1600s that sense of "alien" had led to the development of "alienable," an adjective describing something you could give away or transfer ownership of, and "unalienable," its opposite. By about 1645, "inalienable" was also in use as a synonym of "unalienable." "Inalienable" is the more common variant today, but it was "unalienable" that was used in the Declaration of Independence to describe rights like life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.
So while your proclamation that it is not a word is at best splitting hairs. My definition is correct as is the use of the word in the original form.
Transgender is a word now too. Doesn't change the DNA.
Jefferson wrote the declaration of independence and he used the word inalienable in the original manuscript. It was changed after the fact. That is a known fact. If you visit the Jefferson memorial and read the words as he wrote them he used inalienable. Again, both words mean the same. At the time of the writing of that document either would have been correct. Today not so much. As I said, the English language is not dead. It changes over the years. Both words were still used up until about 1830 when the word unalienable pretty much disappeared from use.

giphy (1).gif

Jefferson wrote the declaration of independence and he used the word inalienable in the original manuscript. It was changed after the fact. That is a known fact. If you visit the Jefferson memorial and read the words as he wrote them he used inalienable. Again, both words mean the same. At the time of the writing of that document either would have been correct. Today not so much. As I said, the English language is not dead. It changes over the years. Both words were still used up until about 1830 when the word unalienable pretty much disappeared from use.
Be that as it may, the end result was in fact Unalienable. Again splitting hairs. As far as I know, no one signed the draft and it was not adopted. Jefferson was ahead of his time no doubt and I assume the more widely used spelling of the time was used as a "common term" of the time. Just my 2 cents worth.
I do enjoy the exchange even if it is a bit trivial.

Back
Top Bottom