• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Night sights?

LOL! Ok, never in one of my posts have I wanted any gizmo bs. Straight quality optics, AR parts or ammo or pmags only. I don't do lasers, Night Sights or cheap airsoft crappola on my guns. KISS. Keep it simple stupid is what I follow with my platforms. My duty gun has night sights on it only because they ordered them that way and I cannot remove them due to policy. Makes no differance either way, when I qualify I don't use them anyway out to 15 yards. At 25 I can still keep rounds on target without them, but if I want to make a head shot or something more precise at that point you would have to transition to sights. Thing is, it is rare that any engagement with a handgun would ever take place at that range. If you know it may, why only show up with a handgun? Bring a longarm instead.

roll yer eyes all you like. point shooting has a long established history of working long before any of those tools started trolling the net looking for idiots to pay them money so that they could show them how to shoot lol sic. no thanks mister. i have been in that game professionally for over 20 years. currently i am a firearms instructor. One of my techniques for helping shooters speed up and hit the target is taping up the sights with electrical tape. you would be surprised at how much quicker they are able to place rounds on target.

bottom line is this: firefights are not pretty. the first one to place rounds on the other guy has a dramatically increased chance of walking away from the encounter. the majority of handgun encounters happen within ten yards or less. you use your sights when you should be pulling the trigger and focusing on your surroundings and you will probably end up shot.

and if you dont know what an adrenaline dump is let me clue you in chap. you will get tunnel vision lose dexterity for fine motor skills auditory exclusion amoungst other physiological responses that you cannot control sir. you have to TRAIN TO WORK YOUR WAY THROUGH IT. Relying on night sights is putting your skills on crutches. good luck and i hope you never have the opportunity to get into that situation. I have been there it is not fun.

[Broken External Image]:

How many firefights have you been in? Paul Howe is a tool? He doesn't troll the net much but I am taking one of his classes pretty soon. I will pass along your highly regarded professional opinion I am not sure he will give much of a rats ass though seeing as he is an ex-Delta been there done that sort of guy. You should understand though you being a professional instructor and all and on that note you won't mind if I keep on trucking and using the techniques taught to me by the "net trolling tools". Cheers chap, chip chip cheerio!

Last edited:
[Broken External Image]:

How many firefights have you been in? Paul Howe is a tool? He doesn't troll the net much but I am taking one of his classes pretty soon. I will pass along your highly regarded professional opinion I am not sure he will give much of a rats ass though seeing as he is an ex-Delta been there done that sort of guy. You should understand though you being a professional instructor and all and on that note you won't mind if I keep on trucking and using the techniques taught to me by the "net trolling tools". Cheers chap, chip chip cheerio!

Of course you're welcome to do whatever you like sir. It's your life. Internet tools are a plenty now. Don't know Paul Howe, he must be quite memorable... I've chewed my share of sand in Iraq and worked for a very major PD here in the south with daily agg batteries/attempted murders etc - shooting at us was par for the course as was shooting back. I'm not saying I'm better than any of your internet heros however I am speaking the truth, and if you cannot see that it just shows your lack of real world experiance chap.
Regards,
83rd.

Oh, and your money may be better spent on a point shooting class. Of course you can learn it for FREE... lol. Hell if you want, I can find some certificate online and print it up and all so you can frame it and hang it in your man cave it if makes you feel better.
lol.

LOL! Ok, never in one of my posts have I wanted any gizmo bs. Straight quality optics, AR parts or ammo or pmags only. I don't do lasers, Night Sights or cheap airsoft crappola on my guns. KISS. Keep it simple stupid is what I follow with my platforms. My duty gun has night sights on it only because they ordered them that way and I cannot remove them due to policy. Makes no differance either way, when I qualify I don't use them anyway out to 15 yards. At 25 I can still keep rounds on target without them, but if I want to make a head shot or something more precise at that point you would have to transition to sights. Thing is, it is rare that any engagement with a handgun would ever take place at that range. If you know it may, why only show up with a handgun? Bring a longarm instead.

i agree. the few times i've had to pull my pistol, it was so close it wouldn't matter if you even had sights. i like ns but can live with or without. my point is the op asked what kind. not whether or not. so why bash him. if you don't like them, no need to say. now if he asks for arguments for and against ns, by all means chime in. just a peeve of mine. someone will post" which 9mm should i get?" then someone says get a 40 or get a 45. 9 sux. or ask for a revolver recommedations. followed by "get a glock, revolvers are a waste."
ok, i'll take my meds now. lol.

i agree. the few times i've had to pull my pistol, it was so close it wouldn't matter if you even had sights. i like ns but can live with or without. my point is the op asked what kind. not whether or not. so why bash him. if you don't like them, no need to say. now if he asks for arguments for and against ns, by all means chime in. just a peeve of mine. someone will post" which 9mm should i get?" then someone says get a 40 or get a 45. 9 sux. or ask for a revolver recommedations. followed by "get a glock, revolvers are a waste."
ok, i'll take my meds now. lol.

Understand what you're saying. My point was to raise awareness that they are not really a necessity. Many new gun owners get a new weapon and immidiately think they have to buy this or that to make it somehow "better". That is why I re-enforced what the one poster said - if you have to waste the money, do it with the Glock brand.

Night Sights are a pet peeve of mine. They and laser sights do nothing but create bad habits that will get people shot or even killed. I speak from the passionate point of view on the subject sorry.

That fact that you claim to be in the instructor business for 20 years and do not know who Paul Howe is says a lot about you. Maybe you heard about a little shoot out in Somalia they wrote a book about it and they even made a movie about it called Black Hawk Down. Well Paul Howe was one of the Delta Operators on the ground that day. Now he has a school where he trains LEOs and civilians. He is well known and highly respected in both the special operations community as well as the firearms community in general. Below is an except from one of his published articles and it talks about the pros and cons of using point shooting versus sighted shooting. BTW he teaches sighted shooting because engagements don't always happen inside 10 yards. http://www.combatshootingandtactics.com/index.html

POINT SHOOTING OR SIGHTED FIRE, WHICH WORKS ALL THE TIME?
I usually get cornered a couple of times a year by a current or former student who
ask me at what distance I use my sights. I reply that I use them from 0-300 meters
or as far as the target is away. Routinely they relay a shooting situation that they
were involved in and talk about how many rounds were “lost” during the incident.
I won’t knock point shooting, but I will make a few points. First, I don’t believe you
can consistently replicate the stress you will be under in a gunfight on a flat range.
Your muscles will be different from the first shot to the last, before or after your
workout. I learned a long time ago that all good shooting requires is being
consistent and doing the same thing every time.
Next, if you practice point shooting and also practice using your sights, you’re using
two systems. Remember what I said about using one system that will do everything
or handle all situations? It applies here. I believe that point shooting requires less
mental discipline than does using your sights every time. So, when it comes to a
high stress situation, which system will your mind revert to, the easy way or the
disciplined way? Unfortunately, being human, I believe you will revert to the easy
method, which is point shooting. I don’t think your mind will say, it is under 10
yards, it is time to point shoot or it is over 10 yards and it is time to use my sights.
You will simply revert to one of two systems and generally that will be point
shooting.
Many of the tactical team shootings I have read in the last year show a 20% hit ratio
for tactical team engagements. This is poor at best. This means that we are losing
80% of our rounds downrange into the community or into other officers. Further, I
don’t know how someone can go into court and say, my position felt good, but I
don’t know why my rounds missed.
While working as a special ops instructor, we had a junk admin shelf with old
handouts and miscellaneous copies. Rummaging through the piles of paper, I found
what I consider to be the best set of shooting rules that apply to tactical shooting.
PLAXCO'S SHOOTING PRINCIPLES
1. ACCURACY TAKES PRECEDENCE OVER SPEED.
2. SPEED IS ECONOMY OF MOTION.
3. SPEED WILL COME WITH PRACTICE (IF YOU PRACTICE TO BE
FAST).
4. LET THE SIGHTS DICTATE THE CADENCE OF FIRE.
5. YOU MUST LEARN WHAT IS AN ACCEPTABLE SIGHT PICTURE
AND TRIGGER CONTROL FOR THE SHOT REQUIRED.
6. SHOOT ONE SHOT AT A TIME.
7. WHEN ALL ELSE FAILS, ALIGN THE SIGHTS... SQUEEZE THE
TRIGGER.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom