• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Need advice / wisdom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apply to the FAA (Federal Aviation Administration) as an air traffic controller. If you make the cut, and pass the course at the Academy out in Oklahoma City, you can make from 70k to 170k. Do it quickly. It closes out very soon. USAJOBS.gov

Any county/city water control/treatment department.

DNR- might not meet the initial income goals, but has all the benefits. DNR includes environmental regulation in Georgia.

Technical school - all sorts of scholarship/grants for technical degrees. One local company will pay your schooling to become a certified welder. Many of the large medical practices will do the same for various para positions. Check with the local school to see what is available.

As noted, teaching - but without certification you will probably have to teach in an urban system, There are programs where you can get certified while you teach. STEM is hot, hot, hot right now, and you have the S
about 10 years ago you woulda had me, grew up barrel racing and mounted shooting, I could've lived a rancher's life. Too spoiled on the creature comforts now 🙈

If I had a biologist degree I would be looking at jobs with the Federal Govt, (US Forest service, National Park Service, BLM etc). Pay is decent, benefits are decent, retirement is not bad, job security is pretty good, you may have to relocate.

An old Army buddy got his degree in biology after he got out, and has worked for the BLM in Montana/Wyoming and New Mexico for years. He has a nice life, and his work is awesome of you like riding around on the back roads with someone else's truck all day. He has had some pretty awesome assignments from hiking into the most remote areas of the country to take water samples, to doing buffalo surveys off of snowmobiles in Yellowstone. Last I heard he was working on some kind of compliance for oil rigs on BLM lands.

I asked him what that meant as far as day to day and he said it basically meant that he drove the backroads all day and made sure no one had an oil spill, rigs are about 2 hrs or more apart so he does compliance a couple of hours a day, and scouts fishing and hunting spots in between...lol

Use that degree....
damn dude thanks for the reminder. I used to surf the USA Jobs site often looking at openings, I sort of just quit after Covid came around and they stopped posting stuff (good stuff anyways). I'll definitely get back into looking!

You might look at a science related position in the University System. After your six month probation has been completed, you can take some number of courses, even grad courses, at no charge. Salary likely won’t be 50k but if you can get in, a Masters from Tech, UGA, Kennesaw, or Georgia Southern would open doors for you. Here’s the link on the USG website:

Greetings fellow traders! I'm hoping you all can give me some advice on starting a new career (it's strange that this doesn't seem to be an actual professional service that I could find). I'm a 32yo male, married, child on the way. Like a lot of my peers, I feel I was sucked into the "you have to go to college!" stigma that my parents, grandparents, elders etc. fed me while growing up. I have a bachelor's degree in Biology which I am very thankful for. It certainly is interesting and important knowledge to have, however, I don't feel that it has really propelled me any further in life than if I didn't have it. My current employment is based off of a certification that I earned in 3 days, and it has gotten me far more work than my degree ever has. However, I'm pretty much at a dead end with this job, and to find something else would really only be a lateral move. I know with a degree like this, I really should have gone to graduate school, but it just isn't in the cards for me right now as I need the money for other things. I guess what I really want is some sort of career that will train me and have guaranteed work after I'm finished, with a good salary (52,000 a year would be a great start) and decent benefits. I have a wide array of skills, and I consider myself very teachable and could honestly learn to do just about anything. I know Truck Driver will come to mind first, but I just don't know if I would have the patience for it (sitting in traffic, dealing with other drivers, being away from home for extended amount of time). Other than that, I am open to almost anything. Would any of you fine people be able to point me in the right direction? I appreciate your time!

Kindly,
Sage
There are jobs open right now with the health Dept in Paulding county, Cobb county, and a few other, what the job does is inspect septic systems newly installed, and as a health inspector in restaurants your degree will make you an applicant, full benefits, vacation and all that stuff...bad part is the pay, it’s only around $30.000 to start, they train!.get the # for environmental health in Paulding, and ask for Tara, or James...in Cobb ask for Susan, be sure to ask which other counties are hiring, because there are more...good luck, hope this lead helps, at least this will help build a resume

Education never hurt anyone. Definitely use it to your advantage, life will be easier. Get you a good job with good benefits. You may have to be patient for a few years while you move up the latter and your salary increases. You may have to get a second job for a few years till you get on your way. Good luck

Bartending. Best job I ever had.

Find a good restaurant with insurance and 401k in a metro area. Good money, partially cash tips, in the right spot only a few hours a day.

Not biology related but working in the movie industry is kinda interesting and can pay well. I had my CDL and joined the Teamster union (hard to get into tho) a lot of those guys are making $120,000 a year. A lot of movie industry jobs are union and days can run long but you can make double time after 12 hours, working on weekend ect

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom