• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

My 8 year old wants a new deer rifle for Christmas

Ruger Model 77 Hawkeye compact. That will be something he can keep for the rest of his life. It'll hold its value if it takes care of it and it's just a great rifle to use forever. That will be something he will never forget. A Christmas to remember!

After tagging his first buck last week he changed his mind from wanting a motorcycle to another deer rifle. He really likes his CVA in .243 but he wants a fancy smancy deal like mine..LOL…My Dad gave me my BAR in .270 when I was 14, so it’s my turn to pay it forward. I’ve been looking for either a Browning X Bolt or Model 70 featherweight…Yesterday I lucked into this Browning X Bolt Hunter with youth stock in 6.5cm at Gable’s in Douglasville. I figured 6.5cm or 7mm08 will be excellent for him, and 6.5cm was the one I found, in the exact model I wanted. I am looking forward to his reaction when I present him with this X Bolt! It is a very nice blaster. The bolt is so smooth…I’m going to throw a Leupold on this dude and we will be ready! A lifetime of stories will be told with this thing!

Merry Christmas!

View attachment 5068783
Oh heck yeah even better. Absolutely man that's the ticket brother he will be jumping out of his pajamas I know I would be at that age. Excellent score brother! You are " Father of the Year " in my book. 👌

My opinion, synthetic stock to keep it lite so he can hold it up and aim, large reticle so he can find deer in scope and large enough caliber to kill deer even if shot placement is off. Perfect rifle is, Remington 700 adl synthetic stock in 30-06. He can bang it around on tree stands and not worry about damaging wood stock, and high blue finish of pricy rifle, also give it a name like Excalibur or deerslayer so he will cherish it forever.

My opinion, synthetic stock to keep it lite so he can hold it up and aim, large reticle so he can find deer in scope and large enough caliber to kill deer even if shot placement is off. Perfect rifle is, Remington 700 adl synthetic stock in 30-06. He can bang it around on tree stands and not worry about damaging wood stock, and high blue finish of pricy rifle, also give it a name like Excalibur or deerslayer so he will cherish it forever.
8yo shooting a liteweight 3006, great choice, great choice. I saw we go ahead and bump this kid up to a 300 ultra mag while we are at it.

8yo shooting a liteweight 3006, great choice, great choice. I saw we go ahead and bump this kid up to a 300 ultra mag while we are at it.

oh-boy-here-we-go-again.gif

I think he made a perfect choice thr 6.5 Creedmoor is a good hunting caliber and and has only mild recoil. The wooden stock choice will invoke pride in the recipient and be something that can be handed down with pride in the future. Wooden stocks and blue steel will always be in regardless in market changes and fads.

I have seen a lot of young hunters use smaller caliber rifles because they don’t kick bad, but they usually have poor shot placement with any rifle, the deer gets gut shot and runs off never to be found, the kid feels bad about the lost deer and it affects killing the next deer, it’s better to use large caliber and door slam the deer, they won’t even remember the rifle kick.

Back
Top Bottom