• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

My 8 year old wants a new deer rifle for Christmas

Nice rifle. Yes I think it's a bit over the top. But what a nice gift for an apparently great kid that I know you're so proud of. Only thing is I think I'd vote for a grown up stock. He'll grow into it fast enough. And then he can enjoy it for the rest of his life. Or maybe it's easy enough to get a longer length of pull later

Reactions: MRH
Nice rifle. Yes I think it's a bit over the top. But what a nice gift for an apparently great kid that I know you're so proud of. Only thing is I think I'd vote for a grown up stock. He'll grow into it fast enough. And then he can enjoy it for the rest of his life. Or maybe it's easy enough to get a longer length of pull later
I thought about the short stock, but it isn’t so short that he will not be able to use it later on. It feels comfortable to me. Just compact. I know it won’t be his last rifle. He will want a .270. He has already said so. LOL

I thought about the short stock, but it isn’t so short that he will not be able to use it later on. It feels comfortable to me. Just compact. I know it won’t be his last rifle. He will want a .270. He has already said so. LOL
With that 6.5 he just about won't need it. He'll see, with the ballistic coefficient of that 6.5 he'll be good to go

Very nice gift, just be prepared. A 6.5 in a youth sized wood stock is going to stomp an 8yo unless its a very very big and tough 8yo. You dont want a recoil shy kid. Dont know if there are any reduced loads for the creed out there but I would check into them if you are going to go this route.

Very nice gift, just be prepared. A 6.5 in a youth sized wood stock is going to stomp an 8yo unless its a very very big and tough 8yo. You dont want a recoil shy kid. Dont know if there are any reduced loads for the creed out there but I would check into them if you are going to go this route.
Yeah I won’t let him do anything that I think will hurt him. He will handle it just fine.

What is it with this place? Guys acting like I haven’t thought it through, like some newb. One guy saying I spent too much money on my own son. Acting all concerned about what my son shoots. This is silly. I guess I will stop sharing anything around here. I already stepped back from the ODT for a while. Looks like I will do that again.

Merry Christmas guys. Be sure to check with your wives and mamas before you do anything rash, like go shooting. SMH

I'm talking from experience, got a 14 and 11 yo that having been killing deer since they were 6 with numerous different rifles/calibers. A 6.5 is too much for a kid his age in my opinion, especially with that stock. You can be hard headed if you like. I'm looking out for the kid, not you. We all like to think are sons are tough as nails, but we lose sight that they are still little kids.

Back
Top Bottom