• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

must have for SHTF with a newborn

Congratulations on your new child. They are a blessing and give us hope for the future. The best of men and women are often raised in the toughest of circumstances so as much as I am sure you have concerns about the future, have faith and hope as well.
I would start a list, much of what has already been said here could be included. Talk to your pediatrician, find out about likely diseases and medical conditions newborns are subject to and appropriate medications if available over the counter. Few doctors are going to proscribe meds for what someone might get, maybe you will find the exception. Self diagnosis and medication does carry a high element of risk. Don’t forget vitamins for both the baby and mom, producing 9 or so pounds of human tissue over a short time draws down the mothers reserves which need to be replenished. Think about the seasons the child will be in over the next two-three years and buy appropriately sized clothes for those weather conditions. Yard sales and thrift stores are great resources, children’s clothing is hardly ever worn out. It’s all used after the first wearing.
Not to negate the critical elements of preparedness, such as food, water, meds, fuel, defensive weaponry, sturdy clothing, seeds, garden implements, hand tools, bleach, salt etc... but the most critical need during any crisis is a clear head. An ability to read a situation, rationalize a response and react. The normalcy bias will be responsible for more deaths when a crisis occurs than any other factors. Think outside the box.
God’s blessings upon you, dad.

First, congrats. I have a 7 month old and I'll tell you the prep list is endless. Cloth diapers and bleach. Aquifor and pediatric otc meds. Budreaux's butt paste. Baby soaps and shampoos. Regular diapers in different sizes so you only have to use cloth ones as a backup when you run out. A burn barrel. So many clothes in different sizes it's ridiculous. For as long as you think you won't be able to get them. Same with shoes. Don't get near as much newborn clothes as your wife will want to. Kids grow faster than you think. We bought a ton of stuff and had a big kid who grew quick. Had a ton of clothes he wore maybe once before he was too big for them. And formula. Hard to buy before kid is born. Sometimes kids are allergic or have a bad response to one over the other. If breast feeding works than all the better. Remember kids cant even start weaning till over 6 months. And will be in diapers of all sizes for years. Get some xanax for your wife. Well, your wife takes it but it's really for you.

No experience myself, but I asked a buddy and he said the following among some other stuff. Diapers, towels, rags, wipes & a whole bunch of shirts for you & the wife. My buddy advised getting a bunch of cheap shirts to wear when feeding. He got his from a few 2nd hand stores (goodwill, etc.). My advise, never stop asking questions, cause the only stupid question is the one you don't ask & still need an answer for. Good luck & best of health for all..!
Just an aside, make that’s all CLOTH diapers, towels etc. If you only had disposable stuff you would need a tractor trailer to store them, if you had to move no way you could carry all that. And disposing of the refuse would alert others that you had a child that could be used against you or stolen for evil purposes.

Back
Top Bottom