• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

may take a break from the gun trading seems it isnt what it was.

Here's my take away from THE ODT....

Look at my trade feedback and see I'm not a huge trader (geography has a lot to do with that though). When you see complete strangers offering up donations for a sick child they don't even know, it makes you appreciate the real folks here. When a member throws up prized guns to save his beloved furry family member, and more strangers come to the rescue with donation sites, it humbles you. When you can PM some of our resident experts on matters of all sorts, and get speedy and friendly replies accompanied with a wealth of knowledge, it kinda over-shadows the trading thing.

Absolutely! If I post it I'm ready to sell it.So I put a real sale price on it. I don't like relisting **** over and over. That goes for guns cars and everything else.

I've had to relist a knife a few times. People, me included, are a bit more picky on a blade I think. But I am losing money on it for what I have it listed for.

When this site was started there was a lot of fun made about how sanitized everything was on GON, how post & threads would mysteriously disappear, how the heavy handed mods were passing out infractions and bans like candy and how that wouldn't happen here. It's really sad but in my opinion this site has essentially become another GON and the classifieds are suffering because of it.

Gon used to be great. Then they changed the format and now it is OK, but generally sucks compared to the ODT. Things evolve over time for a number of reasons.. We are in a period of evolution now, I believe.

In most cases, it seems to be more advantageous to trade than to buy or sell (but this is not always the case). Also, buyers seem to be less willing to part with their cash and sellers are needing cash for other projects or needs and need to maximize the cash they receive.

Just my opinion.

I think a good deal of the ODT aggravationhas to do with market trend. We have people that were buying AR's. FN 5.7's, 5.56 ammo, hell even Maverick 88 shotguns at 20-60% above market "norms". Now they are trying to unload these items for what they paid, and not what the market is currently dictating. We have a plethora of AR's starting at ~$550, ammo shelves at WalMart and LGS's are stocked, etc. This has not been the case for a very long time. Unfortunately people that bought into some of the less serious hypes are now trying to recoup hard earned money.

I quit years ago when older shotguns went through the roof. Then I quit when things went crazy. Then I quit about a year ago. I am probably going to quit again soon. But it doesn't last long. Summer is also a slow time. I wish all you revolver people would quit. I don't want any competition.

My first item I posted was a scar 17 for 2400. It was in really good shape but still used. I paid 2800 for it. I figured that was far for a used high end gun. Key word being used. I had texts and pms all night long. I woke up to about 40 texts and pms. I see those go for higher on here than what I can buy a new one for. Same with glock 19/17 in flat dark earth. Folks seem to sell those for like 900ish. I got offered one in a trade and he said he valued it at 900. Smh insane.

On a side note if any one looks at my hk listed let me know what you think on that price. I feel like that's a good price but no bites yet. Figured it would be gone on day 1.

Here's my take away from THE ODT....

Look at my trade feedback and see I'm not a huge trader (geography has a lot to do with that though). When you see complete strangers offering up donations for a sick child they don't even know, it makes you appreciate the real folks here. When a member throws up prized guns to save his beloved furry family member, and more strangers come to the rescue with donation sites, it humbles you. When you can PM some of our resident experts on matters of all sorts, and get speedy and friendly replies accompanied with a wealth of knowledge, it kinda over-shadows the trading thing.
Agree 100%, I don't have any interest in any other form of social media, but I love the ODT!

The swap and sell game is flooded with flippers. They literally dominate the landscape. It's not just here -- Facebook groups, Gunbroker, GON and everywhere else are plagued by the same. Lately, I've stopped playing. With retailers like Buds becoming SO competitive, it just doesn't make sense. I'd rather order exactly what I want new than comb through the ridiculous posts to find it for the same price (or more) used. I don't list much anymore. I used to be pretty active in the forums, but immaturity took over some time in the last two years. Last I lingered, the forums looked less like a place where adult men discussed firearms and more like one of those strange 'internet' places where weird 'internet' guys discuss weird 'internet' stuff with tons of weird emojis. Maybe I'm jaded. I miss the old OTD. Things certainly do seem to have changed. Not for the better, in my opinion -- which is worth every cent you spent on it.

Back
Top Bottom