• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Looking For Private Land to Shoot on

Not to mention leaving brass and shotguns shells but the thousands laying around. Littering and all sorts of mischief. It's just how people are. They simply don't give a crap about your stuff.
I agree. Its hard with irresponsible people, they might tell you they are responsible and then destroy the land with trash

Not to mention leaving brass and shotguns shells but the thousands laying around. Littering and all sorts of mischief. It's just how people are. They simply don't give a crap about your stuff.
Honestly I would be fine if someone left their brass. As long as it's in calibers I reload. :lol:

Hi Everyone!

I live in the North Fulton area and I'm looking for someplace to shoot on private land in North GA. I do know about Wilson Shoals and have shot up there many times - great place.

I'm looking for someone who has private land and likes to shoot on it. Not just punching holes in paper. I like shooting all sorts of targets - including Tannerite exploding stuff. Can't exactly shoot that on the WMA ranges.

Also enjoy a little cookout or refreshments after shooting. I bring firearms, ammo, targets, refreshments...just looking for a safe, fun place to shoot that is out in the country.

Thanks to all for any replies and suggestions.
Mark
You and I are in the exact same boat. I'm in Alpha/JC and I've been looking for somewhere "off the beaten path" so I could shoot farther than the local ranges. Somewhere up 400 would be great and say 100 maybe 200 yards in the middle of the woods would be great. And up to say 500 would be perfect to say the least. I just want to shoot some steel and some fruits and vegetables at some range really. I'd even put in some sweatequity to help someone build something out somewhere.

You and I are in the exact same boat. I'm in Alpha/JC and I've been looking for somewhere "off the beaten path" so I could shoot farther than the local ranges. Somewhere up 400 would be great and say 100 maybe 200 yards in the middle of the woods would be great. And up to say 500 would be perfect to say the least. I just want to shoot some steel and some fruits and vegetables at some range really. I'd even put in some sweatequity to help someone build something out somewhere.

Well, even non-members can shoot any of the rifle matches at Riverbend Gun Club. It's only about 45 minutes drive from GA 400 in Cumming. It's on the south-west side of Dawsonville.

They have a steel silhouette range. Different kind of matches utilizing different kinds of rifles are used there. But they do have a velocity limit, and no steel bullets, to prevent damage to their steel targets.

They have a long range "The Big Range" that goes out to 600 yards, and has closer firing lines at 200 and 300 yards.
At least one match is called "3 x 600" and it involves 20 shots, all slow fire, at a time, from 600 yards. You do this a total of 3 times. Plus you can take unlimited sighter shots, but your sighters still eat up your available time (20+ shots must be completed in 20 minutes). This shooting is normally done prone, with only a sling for support, unless you shoot "F-class" in which case you can use a bipod , and your rifle can have a scope. Normal highpower class means iron sights only. F class targets have closer-together scoring rings, but if you're doing it for fun, who cares? You can still see what group size you get.

I've done the 3 x 600 with a Colt Match Target HBAR, then with my SPRINGFIELD M1A, and most recently with a cheap SAVAGE model 10 in .243 caliber, all using cheap factor or military-surplus ammo. Its fun, even if your groups are the size of a trash can lid.

I agree. Its hard with irresponsible people, they might tell you they are responsible and then destroy the land with trash
Yeah that's what happen to the Darnell range. I was quite out of the wait needed a 4x4 truck get to it. People just starting shooting home appliances and such turned into a junkyard. I liked it when I went on so many years ago.

Yep.
I know a guy whom owns 100+ acres with a range up to 400 yards, pond, great hunting, trails, etc..

Let a few local, screened guests some access and:

-trash left around the pond, not much, but shouldn’t be ANY!
-decided to invite some of their “responsible”friends. More trash.
- let someone deer hunt for one deer, killed two 8 pts in one day
-turkey hunt for one turkey, two 11inch beards killed
-decide it ok to ride four wheelers across the whole property…several times
-shoot all of their ammo on the ranges and ask the landowner to “borrow “ more.
-the longer that had access, the sloppier they got.

Now he has severely limited invites.

That’s why it’s hard to get permission to enjoy someone else’s property.

Why should the landowner have the headaches and take a risk to help someone?

Yep.
I know a guy whom owns 100+ acres with a range up to 400 yards, pond, great hunting, trails, etc..

Let a few local, screened guests some access and:

-trash left around the pond, not much, but shouldn’t be ANY!
-decided to invite some of their “responsible”friends. More trash.
- let someone deer hunt for one deer, killed two 8 pts in one day
-turkey hunt for one turkey, two 11inch beards killed
-decide it ok to ride four wheelers across the whole property…several times
-shoot all of their ammo on the ranges and ask the landowner to “borrow “ more.
-the longer that had access, the sloppier they got.

Now he has severely limited invites.

That’s why it’s hard to get permission to enjoy someone else’s property.

Why should the landowner have the headaches and take a risk to help someone?
Yep. And the legal liability if a “guest” shoots themselves, someone else or gets hurt on your property. They’ll be on the phone to “One Call that’s All” in a heartbeat,

Back
Top Bottom