• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Legality of Child in possession of firearm.

Agree with others about several points, especially him handling it only around you. What if by chance someone tries loading a non blank round.

Also I don't see anything good coming from telling him it's functional firearm when it's not.

I gave a 10- y/o nephew a "fake" gun that I assembled using a real military surplus rifle stock, a long wooden dowel for the barrel, a thicker wooden dowel for the receiver, a short bolt coming down to simulate a trigger.
I mounted a real 4X rifle scope on it-- a cheap Bushnell that had crooked crosshairs and huge parallax error.

It was a very long gun or this small boy .
The same size as a German K98 Mauser.
But it was light weight --having no metal parts other than the scope mount and rings.

I painted the tip of the barrel orange, but it didn't really show up as brightly colored as I hoped, so I ended up wrapping the last inch and a half of the barrel with bright orange tape and stapling and gluing the tape in place.

It would be bad for other adults to see this kid carrying what looks like a real rifle w/o the orange muzzle marking it as a toy / replica/ dummy.

Of course we told the boy not to take it to school, not to aim it at people, etc.
The idea behind this rifle was that he could play with it in the woods with his friends -- "cops and robbers" playing "war" etc.
Maybe pretending to hunt animals. Aiming the crosshairs at birds and squrrels.

Since this thread is in the Law & Order section,
let's consider the law.

1-- The feds would probably still consider this firearm to be a "firearm" even if the barrel is welded shut so it won't take a cartridge. BATF doesn't consider a firearm to be destroyed until it is completely cut through the receiver with a torch in multiple placed so that it can never be reassembled without a huge amount of effort.

2-- but, it's not illegal for adults to give children a long gun! Kids of any age are not prohibited from possessing rifles that are given to them by family members. That's both under federal law and state law.

3-- But although the statutory law passed by the legislature doesn't have any lower age limit for kids possessing a working rifle or shotgun, obviously there is some lower limit! If you give a kid younger than that age, and that level of maturity, and responsibility, a gun, you could be considered to have done a crime or a reckless act towards that child.
Maybe call it reckless conduct ?
Maybe it would just be an action that causes DFCS to open an investigation to see whether the child is "in danger" due to in adequate supervision or poor parenting.

cue the angry retards to post "ain't no age limit on the 2A"
and
"if there ain't no special law say 'kids can't have rifles'
den o'course kids can always have rifles any damn time they want
and no cop, no social worker, kin say diffr'nt."

Personally I would never have given one of my sons a replica gun and let them believe that it was real.
Want to teach him how to be responsible and to safely handle a firearm? Keep the blank rifle locked up with your real guns so he takes it seriously.

If he is carrying it in a rural area (your property) it probably wouldn’t draw much attention but in a suburban neighborhood or urban area then expect people to freak out and call 911 and report “a boy with an assault rifle”.. This will lead to a DEFCON 1 response from LEO and possibly SWAT and hope there isn’t a dog within 1/2 mile. Unfortunately that’s the reality of today’s world.

Remember the cops shot a kid in Detroit who was sitting on a park bench holding a BB gun.

To answer the original question, if the barrel is welded so that it cannot discharge a projectile, it is not a firearm.

Your kid, your rules but I don't see the point. If he is hassled at all about it. may decide to bag the whole thing. Just seems to me there are better options.

Agree with others about several points, especially him handling it only around you. What if by chance someone tries loading a non blank round.

Also I don't see anything good coming from telling him it's functional firearm when it's not.
I think it will build maturity. It's a dry run so to speak. If someone managed to bring a 30-30 round to my home and load it...that just seems safely inplausible.

Since this thread is in the Law & Order section,
let's consider the law.

1-- The feds would probably still consider this firearm to be a "firearm" even if the barrel is welded shut so it won't take a cartridge. BATF doesn't consider a firearm to be destroyed until it is completely cut through the receiver with a torch in multiple placed so that it can never be reassembled without a huge amount of effort.

2-- but, it's not illegal for adults to give children a long gun! Kids of any age are not prohibited from possessing rifles that are given to them by family members. That's both under federal law and state law.

3-- But although the statutory law passed by the legislature doesn't have any lower age limit for kids possessing a working rifle or shotgun, obviously there is some lower limit! If you give a kid younger than that age, and that level of maturity, and responsibility, a gun, you could be considered to have done a crime or a reckless act towards that child.
Maybe call it reckless conduct ?
Maybe it would just be an action that causes DFCS to open an investigation to see whether the child is "in danger" due to in adequate supervision or poor parenting.
I think I'm asking for trouble. What shows more responsibility than NOT giving a kid what they want? Lol. I think It's going to be usable by him but not accessible.

Back
Top Bottom