• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Legality of Child in possession of firearm.

Jblue

Default rank <5000 posts
ODT Junkie!
159   1
Reaction score
So I bought my boy a blank firing rifle. Welded up barrel and all that jazz. The plan is to give it to him as a birthday gift, to let him keep it in his room and take it on woods walks, etc. He doesn't need to know it's a pop gun. My only concern is whether or not his handling of the rifle in the woods, and leaving it in his room is unlawful. I know it's dangerous, which is why I'm not planning on buying any blanks for it until he's a little older. He does keep his Red Ryder in his room. Never had a whoopsie and he doesn't handle it without asking. Hoping this blank gun can build trust and a healthy sense of fear/respect for the weapon. I don't want any knocks at the door or red flags called on me though. WWYD?

So I bought my boy a blank firing rifle. Welded up barrel and all that jazz. The plan is to give it to him as a birthday gift, to let him keep it in his room and take it on woods walks, etc. He doesn't need to know it's a pop gun. My only concern is whether or not his handling of the rifle in the woods, and leaving it in his room is unlawful. I know it's dangerous, which is why I'm not planning on buying any blanks for it until he's a little older. He does keep his Red Ryder in his room. Never had a whoopsie and he doesn't handle it without asking. Hoping this blank gun can build trust and a healthy sense of fear/respect for the weapon. I don't want any knocks at the door or red flags called on me though. WWYD?
I don’t have an answer to your question, but I am curious. What rifle? How old is your child?

I don’t have an answer to your question, but I am curious. What rifle? How old is your child?
It is a no name 30/30 lever action. Most likely from spain. It is heavier than my marlin .22. Not all steel but real wood. Even an average Joe might take it for a genuine rifle. My boy will be six in May when he recieves it.

While I fully support your son having a rifle, I think he should only be handling it when he's with you. If he needs something to play pretend with let him use the bb gun or an airsoft. I worry more about some busybody liberal getting their panties in a wad seeing him in the woods with it, you don't need that kind of hassle.

If he is carrying it in a rural area (your property) it probably wouldn’t draw much attention but in a suburban neighborhood or urban area then expect people to freak out and call 911 and report “a boy with an assault rifle”.. This will lead to a DEFCON 1 response from LEO and possibly SWAT and hope there isn’t a dog within 1/2 mile. Unfortunately that’s the reality of today’s world.

Back
Top Bottom